Hand Brake assembly

GoldenMotor.com

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I have a 26" springer front wheel, and I want to install a hand brake assembly
to it. There's a mounting hole on the fork for that but I wonder if the brake pads
will line up or work with the stock wheel rim. It really doesn't have flat sides on
the wheel rim for good contact with the brake pads. What should be the correct
set up?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have a 26" springer front wheel, and I want to install a hand brake assembly
to it. There's a mounting hole on the fork for that but I wonder if the brake pads
will line up or work with the stock wheel rim. It really doesn't have flat sides on
the wheel rim for good contact with the brake pads. What should be the correct
set up?
Not sure if you mean a wheel or fork. If the fork is a springer and not designed for caliper style brakes you have to consider that the wheel will move up and down and if the brakes are mounted to the unsprung portion of the fork they will not move. If they mount to the sprung side of the fork they will follow the wheel movement and then its just a matter of aligning the pads with the rim sides. Maybe a little bending here and there to match the contour of the rim. Hope this helps and that I understood your question correctly.
Tom

Last edited:

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks 2Door, The springer is on a stock Diamondback cruiser, called Della-Cruz. I
noticed that there is a hole at the bottom of the springer that looks like it was
made for an optional caliper. I am more concerned with the rim, which seems
kind of low sided for the brake pads to make proper contact with it. I guess I'll
buy the $15.00 caliper assembly and see how it fits. I took your advice and checked
out where they would mount to make sure they will be rigid.
Fred