For all the wrong reasons

GoldenMotor.com

jokyfo

Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix area
I live in the land known as: Arizona. They are very tough on certain offenses.

Three words:

D
U
I

90 days suspension, 30 flat, 60 to work and back

Deciding whether to go the Motorized Bike route or just the plain ol bike route.

Anyone have any suggestions? What should it cost fo just something as basic as can be? Good places to look? Craig's List, other forums where I might purchase a used MB? Or can I convert a regular bike to motorized?

It may turn into a long term thing once I get used to it or I may resell it to some other poor DUI slob.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
How far do you travel to work? If its more than a few miles, definitely motorize. I would also recommend if you want to go the cheap route, a 2 stroke kit is the least expensive to start with, but I would recommend a bike with gears in case something goes wrong on your way to and from, then at least you can pedal. Leave in enough time to get to work early, and if you should have an engine related problem, as long as you can still pedal you won't be late. If you want something with less chance of breaking down, I recommend a 4 stroke, but its a little more expensive. You can get a 2 stroke kit on ebay right now for $135 with free shipping. A 4 stroke kit with the least expensive reliable transmission is going to run you $279 plus shipping, but it will not have as much chance of breaking down as a 2 stroke if you dont abuse it, and will last much longer as well.

jokyfo

Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix area
How far do you travel to work? If its more than a few miles, definitely motorize. I would also recommend if you want to go the cheap route, a 2 stroke kit is the least expensive to start with, but I would recommend a bike with gears in case something goes wrong on your way to and from, then at least you can pedal. Leave in enough time to get to work early, and if you should have an engine related problem, as long as you can still pedal you won't be late. If you want something with less chance of breaking down, I recommend a 4 stroke, but its a little more expensive. You can get a 2 stroke kit on ebay right now for $135 with free shipping. A 4 stroke kit with the least expensive reliable transmission is going to run you $279 plus shipping, but it will not have as much chance of breaking down as a 2 stroke if you dont abuse it, and will last much longer as well.
Great, thank you for the info!

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Look your laws up and read them. Don't think you're safe; know if you are or not. Driving under suspended license means you'll be going even longer without them.

Skinnypartdeux

Jan 26, 2013
Louisiana
I live in Louisiana and drive under a restricted license because of a DUI, the laws here are very fuzzy on MBs but if argued correctly, you can fight any tickets you may get. Ebay is good for cheaper kits, but they are just that; cheap kits. My buddy bought one from ebay and pretty much everything but the motor had to be replaced. I bought mine through Bikeberry.com it was $20 more expensive plus shipping. But nothing has had to be replaced so far *knock on wood*. And bikeberry has excellent customer service, plus it's kind of a one stop shop for performance upgrades and parts. I would definitely get a motor kit just because it's more fun! hope this helps your decision making! Happy motoring!