Trade questions

GoldenMotor.com

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
Hey Guys first let me introduce myself because I don't think I did and if I did it was over a year ago. my name is Jordan I am 44 I live in Florida. i built my first bike over that last two months. I have really enjoyed you comments and have apreaciated the help you have all given me from questions I have asked and thousands of threads I have read. So hear is my question. I have an Izip electric bike I was offered a 1986 Yamaha QT50 moped/scooter in trade for it. It is in beautiful condition rides and runs perfectly! Here are the issues it and I have. First it has no title. Does anyone know if it needs a title to be registered in Florida? Does anyone have one of these mopeds ( why it's called a moped with no peddles is one I can't answer) if so is there anything I should look for when I look at it again. Is it a good trade, I only have about $90 into the ebike and it is also in brand new condition. If it needs a title to do a search and get one issued is $150 I belive. Also has anyone ever registered a motorized bike in Florida if so what all does it need to be "Street Legal"
Thanks for the info in advance.
Jordan

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you only have 90 dollars in the e-bike, I'd trade in a heart beat, title or not.

You can always re-sell it to someone who is looking for a "camp bike" to put on the back of a camper, or to run around a campground with.

I would give you double that if I was within pick up distance, and I'd still be getting a killer deal.

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
It's amazingly quiet ans very smooth i love shat driven bikes. And researching the parts for it if needed in the future are easy and cheep to find. Everything about it is nice starts on first kick. Really what concerns me is the title or should I say the lack of one. I would not get it to resell it, I would be getting it for my wife and myself to ride. My plan with the ebike was to purchase another battery $90-$150 and a solar panel trickle charger $100. My thought was to have a form of transportation that was off the grid. Being that I live in Florida and god forbid a hurricane comes through and electric was out for any length of time I would still have a means of transportation.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What you should do is call your local tax office. They'll be able to answer your question, and explain how to get a replacement title.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That is the plan but I was hoping to do the trade today if I could find some definitive answers.
I see. In that case, I'm pretty sure it will have to be registered to ride it on the street, and you'll need a title to do that.

It's a different animal from a motor bicycle because, since it doesn't have pedals, it's self propelled. In FL and most other states, any self propelled vehicle is considered a motor vehicle.

Still, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to title it, but a lot of times that's going to be a expensive and time consuming proposition.

One problem you could face getting a title is if it turns up as stolen, or having a old lien against it.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Not always true. In a lot of states including Ahia, if it's under 50cc, has a top speed of 20 mph or less, it can be considered a moped, even with no pedals.

Some states allow 25 mph.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
yeah, thats the legal definition, but not where the word actually comes from. I just googled it to make sure, and I was slightly wrong, but pretty close. the word moped actully comes from the words "motor" and "pedal". I understand that legally some states may define a scooter as a moped because of its engine size and top speed. but by actual definition, mopeds have pedals, scooters dont.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Title-Shmitle

You can get one -

Basicially the state of Maine will give you a plate with bill-of-sale only.

It has to be of a certian vintage but yours qualifies

Then transfer your maine plate to your state.

These ppl will do it all for you

http://www.its-titles.com/

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Those don't fly in Ohio. It just wastes a lot of money.

I wasted my money trying to get a motorcycle "titled" that way, and they turned it away at the BMV.

They are great in states where you only need a bill of sale to get plates....but then why would you need to pay them for a title. :(

Last edited:

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Those don't fly in Ohio. It just wastes a lot of money.
What doesnt fly in Ohio? Ohio wont transfer a plate/title from Maine? Thats all your local DMV has to do. I have used this several times without any issue. It works in all 50 states, it just takes advantage of laws in Maine to get the ball rolling. Of course there are situations where it wont work, like if the VIN is reported as stolen, etc.

If you can manage to get a plate from another state, that is vaild in that state, you can transfer it to your state. The local DMV is required to issue you a new plate/state title, because by law they have to recognize the validity of the existing plate, additionally most states require you to change your registration to your state of residence, so like they have to do it. I dunno about any papers/pinkslips/etc but if you have a valid license plate, you can do it.

Its not ALOT of money, its like 100 bucks.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You are correct, I am wrong....I used a "title service" that was in Walnecks cycle trader years ago, who issue titles, that don't pass the BMV in Ohio.

I stand corrected.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Still, I would advise the OP to do a title search through the Florida BMV and if possible, get a duplicate title issued properly.

It's a lot less than "like a hundred bucks".

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
You are correct, I am wrong....I used a "title service" that was in Walnecks cycle trader years ago, who issue titles, that don't pass the BMV in Ohio.

I stand corrected.
Ya a freind of mine got burned by a "title service" before they just made him some papers on a ****ty printer and were like "here ya go bud" The trick is to get the plate! It really works, i'ts an option for the so inclined.

In my state (Arizona) a bonded title/title search takes 6 months. Im sure it is cheaper, but I dont have time for that.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m526h0iAAE1qhfudfo1_500.gif

Last edited:

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
Mystery solved! I was able to look up the title through the DMV using the vin number. It is titled as a motorcycle and not a moped or scooter. At this point I told the guy I am going to pass unless he can get the title. I also don't have a Motorcycle endorsement on my DL. At this pont I would be better off just buying a Yamaha qt50 with a good title outright and keeping the ebike, thanks for all your responses.