Motorized Bicycle/Moped or Bicycle..???

GoldenMotor.com

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
hi,

i was wondering if a Motorized Bicycle is a Moped or not.? its not really a motor bike either well not like a Yamaha R1 or something like that.

does it really have a definition.?

i live in the uk i have been hassled by the police once or twice saying its a moped, but i beg to differ on that.

Moped's have peddles yes, but are not for peddling but for starting the engine only. but where as a (Motorized Bicycle) you can peddle any time all the time, so lets say the engine isn't running its a bicycle carrying a engine and if it is running its still a bicycle but being assisted by the engine so i guess how ever you look at it, it is truly a bicycle right...????

anyway i was just wondering how you see it, and how does your law see it in the US.

over here its all about tax i fear, if it runs on gas then you have to tax it. (piece of paper on your (windshield) yet if its electric thats ok.??

why i ask myself, its still a motor even if it is generated by a different source, i wish at times this country would adopt more ways from the US as from what i hear your laws are more relaxed about Motorized Bicycles, or am i wrong..????

thanks. :)

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
The laws in the USA are a complete mess. Every state and even some townships have differing laws and regulations.

Me?

I live in PA- I'm not exactly sure what the heck are laws are here, but whenever I see a cop- I make sure I am actively pedaling and I completely lay off the throttle.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Here in GA. we have to stay under 50cc on bicycle engines to avoid tag and insurance. We must wear a dot approved helmet. I rode by the Ga. State Patrol post on the fourth on a ride, one patrolman just waved as he caught up and passed me.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
hi,

i was wondering if a Motorized Bicycle is a Moped or not.? its not really a motor bike either well not like a Yamaha R1 or something like that.

does it really have a definition.?

i live in the uk i have been hassled by the police once or twice saying its a moped, but i beg to differ on that.

Moped's have peddles yes, but are not for peddling but for starting the engine only. but where as a (Motorized Bicycle) you can peddle any time all the time, so lets say the engine isn't running its a bicycle carrying a engine and if it is running its still a bicycle but being assisted by the engine so i guess how ever you look at it, it is truly a bicycle right...????

anyway i was just wondering how you see it, and how does your law see it in the US.

over here its all about tax i fear, if it runs on gas then you have to tax it. (piece of paper on your (windshield) yet if its electric thats ok.??

why i ask myself, its still a motor even if it is generated by a different source, i wish at times this country would adopt more ways from the US as from what i hear your laws are more relaxed about Motorized Bicycles, or am i wrong..????

thanks. :)
I say bicycle, but all that really matters is what the local laws are. In absence of a specific law for MBs, police will probably try to claim you're riding a unregistered moped. That's what they were trying to do in Texas, but not apparently state wide, only in some locals. But a problem turned up.

The problem with that is, in Texas all motor vehicles are considered to be self propelled. The question for the jury is, if evertime you leave a stop you have to peddle, even up to 2 mph before letting out the clutch, is that considered self propelled? I say no.

So far no prosecutor in the state has wanted to find that out. All challanges of that nature have been dismissed. Of course if you just pay a fine, they'll take your money.

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
I say bicycle, but all that really matters is what the local laws are. In absence of a specific law for MBs, police will probably try to claim you're riding a unregistered moped. That's what they were trying to do in Texas, but not apparently state wide, only in some locals. But a problem turned up.

The problem with that is, in Texas all motor vehicles are considered to be self propelled. The question for the jury is, if evertime you leave a stop you have to peddle, even up to 2 mph before letting out the clutch, is that considered self propelled? I say no.

So far no prosecutor in the state has wanted to find that out. All challanges of that nature have been dismissed. Of course if you just pay a fine, they'll take your money.

that sounds like a good defence to me. :)

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
i think its a bit like that here in some ways, i think they really dont no, i too have had the odd cop wave and smile, some have even laughed, but i have come across the odd stroppy cop, but they did take my bike off me one friday night on suspicion of drunk driving, but as i only had one drink there was no charges and i could go and pick my bike up on Monday from the compound, so that kinda told me its ok to ride it.?

they said i was driving erratic on my bike, but i was only avoiding pot holes in the road.

silly sods..

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.
What did they charge you at the impound to pick up your bike? I rode my bike to work yesterday for the 1st time since being motorized. People kept asking me if it was legal. I kept saying I really dont know here in new york state.

Last edited:

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
What did they charge you at the impound to pick up your bike? I rode my bike to work yesterday for the 1st time since being motorized. People kept asking me if it was legal. I kept saying I really dont know here in new york state.

no i wasnt charged a penny, as there was no charges against me, so they paid for the recovery of my bike.

usually if a car gets impounded over here for a section 165 meaning no licence no insurance which is what the guy at the pound told me my bike had, it is £150 to get it released, but you have to show licence and insurance of which i had none. :)

but i do like biknut's theory of the bike not being self propelled on which i agree on that one, so id say yes it is truly bicycle....

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You have to arm yourself with knowledge about your local laws. It took me quite a while to find out anything around here, because it's hard to find anyone in our state government that actually knows anything about MBs. In Texas we don't have any laws specific to gas powered MBs. I guess that's why nobody knows anything. It's up to any local police to decide what they think the law is. So far in well over 1000 miles, no one has bothered me even once.

How old are you? The police generally will pick on a young person more than an older one, especially if there's no particular law about MBs. I'm 57.

It helps if you know what your rights actually are in the event of trouble. If you can inform the police in a polite way that you know what the law says about MBs, they probably will back off, unless you really are breaking the law. Try using the internet to find leads, to learn what the laws really are.

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
im 43 bikenut, i have looked up the legal definition of a motor vehicle, and as you righty say its a self propelled vehicle, and the definition of self propelled is (Containing its own means of propulsion)

to which a motorized bicycle has no means of Containing its own means of propulsion. it has to be assisted.

you see the English police over here can be very bullyish to say the least, if one doesnt like you or the look of you and then they try everything in there power to arrest you,if all else fails then they use the public order act and get you that way.

i have had my bikes for a good while now, and i have recently bought one from dean at pipelyne, i think there a great idea, cheap to run and are very agile and can access all area's. the only downside about owning one in the uk is the weather as it rains more than its sunny. but still i use mine every day and plan to keep building them as and when i can afford too. :)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
It's true, their is no sense in the equal application of regulation of many statutes here in us.
Seems to me it is all about oppression.
WHY the gubment would want to PREVENT the people from being more efficient is beyond me. (Well, it's not, but I get REAL political on the subject !) :-[

I read the google news just a few minutes ago, which highlighted some us financial issues, and I took a quick tab to look over at the us debt clock... amazing numbers over there. I really can't quite fathom how large they really are! but I think that's why we are always gonna see some kind of tax applied to the MABs, and anything else they can apply a tax to.
Whatever it may be today, it's sure to go up tomorrow.
A shame, because tax is just impediment to progress.
rc

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
yes i dont and also i pretend to peddle sometimes too,but it would be nice just too ride around knowing that they cant touch you. ;)

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
i think they just want to find ways to make people unhappy and take money of them left right and centre, i hate the way the law opporates at times, the bikes are a very good at getting about and also good for the planet also, but yet it raises issues when you use one..????

Last edited:

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
self-propelled
adj
(Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) (of a vehicle) provided with its own source of tractive power rather than requiring an external means of propulsion
self-propelling adj

:)

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Hi leezy,
unfortunatly if its an internal combustion engine in your bike petrol /two stroke or diesal and its used on a public road it has to be taxed insured and have a mot, put your recent pull and release down to good luck because in merseyside they have been crushing uninsured bikes by the ton. Get a copy of the MSVA regs to help you get your bike upto the requred standard, I'm sorry mate but thats the only way, a moped is 50cc or less but there are two types, a low powerd moped type which I think has a top speed of 16 mph and the other which has a top speed of 30 mph on a level road, on the latter which I'm going for your bike has to have everything that a new honda 50 would have ,two good brakes with brake lights, speed and load rated tyres, high/low beam lights and indicators ect then it has to go for the MSVA test which is like a four hour mot while they check everything is upto current standards, when you pass that you've got to satisfy the DVLA who have a look at all your paperwork and they decide if its to be registed as a new bike with an age related plate or a Q plate.
All I can say is good luck, where up against it here, but your not on your own:):):)

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
hi mate,

maybe it was i dont know, but it did have a 165(no licence no insurance) yet they give it me back.?
so you think the self propelled is out the window then...???

just typical of this country wanting to fluff everyone up for money yet again,
if they run fast enough and catch me then ill give it up, untill then they can kiss my arse. :)

.shft.