Self-built Chain Guard

GoldenMotor.com

Swagulous

Jul 12, 2011
Strongsville, Ohio
I built a chain guard for the rear sprocket out of Poly (acrylic glass) because my chain was initially leaning towards the spokes and once even got caught up in them. So, for safety, I tightened the chain significantly (almost no "give" on the chain) and machined this piece. Now, over time, the piece has a few chips in it that the chain will brush against and make a scraping sound.
This is all happening after the master link (original that came with my kit from ~1 year ago - been riding it at near top speed for 6 or so months) broke off when the bike chain (not engine chain) came off. I've filed down the bits on the acrylic piece a lot, but there is still a little bit of a strange scraping noise... My question to you is, is the bike safe to ride?
By the way, for you Ohio riders out there - I've been riding in the Strongsville area for a while with NO trouble from cops. I've even passed cops, but usually when I do I hold the clutch, hit the killswitch, and act like I'm pedaling - they never stop to ask questions. Thanks in advance!

(another btw, I can post pics if needed.)

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I would think you should be fine. The Acrylic is the softer of the two materials so the chain will just wear it away with no real damage to the chain.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If your chain alignment is correct you shouldn't need to shield it from the spokes.
Your chain tension should not have to be tight. A slack of 1/2 to 3/4" is what we recommend. Looser or tighter and it can cause you problems. That noise you hear might be from a chain that is too tight.
Take a close look at your chain alignment looking from the rear to the front and make sure that the chain is running true, the rear sprocket has no wobbles and do what needs to be done to make it right. Then you can do away with the chain guard/shield.
Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Do you have any pics? I was having trouble visualizing how the chain is getting near the spokes to cause such trouble. What Tom said is right. However this problem has come about, you should not allow it to continue. The chain guard sounds like a clever quick fix, but with a few photos and a bit of Q&A, I think we could help you get your chain acting like it should.