Does anyone make a motor that DOESN'T break down every time you ride ???

GoldenMotor.com

JdubMotorMan

May 9, 2011
los angeles county
Every day now it seems like there is a new problem and more money and time that has to be dished out just to get this thing to go another few miles.... at first it was cool and fun , but I'm trying to have some sort of reliable transportation ... I can't afford new parts every week ... what started out as a $250 project has probable gotten closer to $800.00 by now and climbing ... maybe I should just save up and get an actual motorcycle that will last 100,000 miles

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
my bike hasn't failed me yet in over 300 miles. roughly 2 months of for the most part daily riding.

it's a grubee motor on a worksman with sportscarpats sprocket adapter.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Some people have great luck with the 2-strokes, and some don't. Only 2 of my own 5 2-strokes lasted over 1,000 miles. I use my MaB as my main transportation, so I ditched the 2-strokes and went 4-stroke instead. Has a little less power, but much smoother and cheaper to run.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Sorry to hear that...Out of 6 builds I've had 2 problems...CDI defective in 3 days after instillation, and a blown head gasket. All on the first build. Since I've made the (inexpensive) mods...Nothing has gone wrong. Almost 2 years now. Not so much as a flat tire.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
What kind of engine is it? I've had a 2-stroke from Dax. It's been about as close to trouble free as any engine I've ever had, in any vehicle I've ever owned. I'm not sure where Dax gets 'em but I bought mine there just because he's one of our vendors who had really good customer service reviews.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You weren't specific on what kind of problems you're having. Tell us what your failures are and maybe we can help eliminate some of them for you. What kind of "parts" are you replacing? Give us some information.
Tom

JdubMotorMan

May 9, 2011
los angeles county
basically the large gear on the right side felt a bit loose yesterday and was causing the engine to rattle a lot ( I finally got it running again ) . I decided to take the bike for a little ride around the block to listen to the sound and in less than 2 minutes of riding the engine siezed and the back tire instantly went into a skid. Last time the engine siezed I heard the rattling but couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from but now I'm positive it was coming from the large gear on the right side. I had the engine open minus splitting the case and didn't see any signs of visible damage so I just put it back together . I'm really not sure what it is other than the gears at this point... thoughts ?

jototojo

Apr 10, 2011
argentina
I had LOTS of problems the 6 first month of use.
But on the last 7 month i only had really easy solution problems, and i really dont give lots of mantainance to the bike, and i ride it everyday, and it still moves better than the first day.
Good luck!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You guys have amazing patience, you really do.

The first time my motor locks up and skids the tire is the time it's going into the trash can. I'm 56 and I don't want to die because of a POS China motor.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Did you check the other side, where the chain is? Sounds more like the chain was bunching up in the clutch actuator cover do to improper chain tension. I've never heard of the primary gears binding.
Are you checking the chain tension and alignment? Did you lubricate the gears?

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Every day now it seems like there is a new problem and more money and time that has to be dished out just to get this thing to go another few miles.... at first it was cool and fun , but I'm trying to have some sort of reliable transportation ... I can't afford new parts every week ... what started out as a $250 project has probable gotten closer to $800.00 by now and climbing ... maybe I should just save up and get an actual motorcycle that will last 100,000 miles
There are other engines besides the China made 2 strokes, of course. I've had great luck with Japanese made engines.

That said, I've no license issues so I picked up a '95 Honda 250 Enduro for $800, all it needed was a little maintenance and cleaning, starts on the first try.

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
4 stroke honda 50 cc engine, USA made Staton transmission, 2010 death race 9th place finish, 250 hours 1000 miles of use, change the oil with mobil 1 every 10 hours, not one problem or issue and going strong !!!!

nuff said

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I have had no problems with the engine itself, most of my problems were install related, sprocket alignment loose tensioner, etc. I locked up my rear wheel more than once, but it was never the engine.

dtj6ppc

Feb 23, 2011
redondo
If you do an extensive archive search on this and other motorbike messageboards about engine reliability you will find that the concenses is that the Honda and Sabura 4 stroke are leading the way if reliability is one of your highest priorities. If cost, power, or weight is a higher factor than the answer changes.................Don

Jneff

May 15, 2011
florida
i had issue after issue with my skyhawk engine. i just got a brand new one from the guy a bought my first one for and the first problem i had was the pedals locking up. i'm getting that worked on.. unfortunately i don't have the tools or know how to fix even the easiest of problems. i really really wish i would have found this forum, and knew some people who owned motor bikes BEFORE i spent my last bit of savings on one. i too, was planning on using mine as regular transportation

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You guys have amazing patience, you really do.

The first time my motor locks up and skids the tire is the time it's going into the trash can. I'm 56 and I don't want to die because of a POS China motor.
Mike,
You've aged very well. Your avatar made me think you were much younger :)
Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
laff

That's me at age 10.

I found that pic when I was going through all the stuff in the house before I sold it. After Ma died, pops lived there for 2 years, then deceided he wanted to live with us out here in CA. He got sick every winter in Detroit.

That was a busy time.