New finish on old mufflers

GoldenMotor.com

Xcel

Jul 20, 2008
I used to use scotch brite pads to brush aluminum and get a nice finished look. I discovered today while cleaning burnt grease off a chrome muffler it has the same effect. It takes the cheap looking chrome and makes it look like brushed stainless steel!

The muffler now looks very nice and I didn't need to paint it.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
I used to use scotch brite pads to brush aluminum and get a nice finished look. I discovered today while cleaning burnt grease off a chrome muffler it has the same effect. It takes the cheap looking chrome and makes it look like brushed stainless steel!

The muffler now looks very nice and I didn't need to paint it.
Can you get a good photo?

Xcel

Jul 20, 2008
I would highly recommend scotchbrite it gives a different finish than sandpaper.

I can't believe how much it looks like heavy brushed stainles steel rather than cheap chrome.

Heres a pic, hope it shows up right.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
That looks cool Xcel (^) I really like the way it looks, Thank You for sharing that with us....I think I just might have to give it a try.
:ride2:

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
I would highly recommend scotchbrite it gives a different finish than sandpaper.

I can't believe how much it looks like heavy brushed stainles steel rather than cheap chrome.

That is SO cool! I finally found one of the long poo poo pipes for MotoSchwinn II and that is a treatment it will definitely need! Thanks for taking the time to get a pic!

Ruggs

Jul 16, 2008
Funny, I made the same discovery yesterday too! I was going to paint the muff and I rubbed it down with fine steel wool. It looked so sweet I slapped it right back on.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida

Looks almost like spun aluminum.....that can apply to so many builds that neither black nor chrome would work with....I know what I'm doing this weekend....especially since the Gators are off Saturday !....LOL !

Laters,
Salty.shft.