steam bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
thats freaking awesome i was facinated by steam power for some time tell i figured out i didnt have the tools or supplies to build what my mind envisioned

there are so many ideas so many applications i just wish i had a machine shop and time

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Today, I didn't see a steam bike, but this post reminded me and I have to tell somebody what I saw. Driving home, going east on Troy Rd. I was behind a rustbucket of a pickup truck with what looked like an odd assortment of metal tanks and pipes and junk, and a woodburning stove up by the cab THAT WAS SMOKING! While they are driving.

Did I see a steam powered truck? A woodburning truck maybe? Is the heater core shot and this is how they heat the cab in the winter? How many reasons can there be for somebody burning something in a woodstove in the bed of a truck while they are driving? Dang, people out here are so weird.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
@BarelyAWake: Holy Crud, that bottom photo got me thinking. There is a slim (and remote) possibility that I could be dealing with a redneck genius who built himself a wood gas powered pickup truck. This keeps getting weirder. I guess it's one way to tackle high gas prices.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i love the concept of steam power cause it is so simple and a boiler can be designed to run on anything that combusts solid fuel , liquid fuel and gas fuels there are so many ways to convert heat into power

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
bro its not that complicated either i have designed steam motors before the are simple in concept really

picture a truck old ford or chevy wih a boiler under the hood with flash boiler to get off the line in under a minute using the radiator as a condenser and mounting the steam engine where the transmission would normaly go hooking into the old drive train

or how about a car with a motor mounted to the rear axil or maybe even a second one on the front axil or go crazy and have a radial engine attatched to each wheel

or check this concept out a military vehechle that is e.m. proof and can run off any type of liquid fuel solid fuel or gas fuel using a hybrid bioler capible of runninmg on these different types of fuel it would be em proof cause it doesnt use electronics to create combustion having more than one enbine and one type of bioler mean sif say your main bioler breaks down u could use the flash boiler to continue to power the motor if a motor breaks u could use the second one for power

hmm sounds like a heavy ass reliable machine

steam engine dont require transmissions cause they have massive torq thoughout the rpm ranges

i do not proffess to be a steam geniouse or anything but i was facinated by steam cars and trucks for a while even more than motor bikes and im a motor bike junkie

steam boats steam cars steam bike steam generater im not even getting into turbine power either

sure the concpet is simple but making a safe bioler that requires the least amount of mainenance is the only real problem to get this technology back into the mainstream

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Steam theory and the basic components of a steam powered system are not all that complicated, but getting it all to work efficiently enough to put it into production is.

It's been nearly a century since a steam powered car was on the market and it was at best marginally successful, limited in convenience, range and speed. Even with all the research going on today you rarely see anything get beyond the experimental stage. There are various web sites dedicated to this very topic with plenty of engineers and such who know a lot more about this than you or I and still, there's nothing in production.

I'm currently building a steam powered bike. My build thread is in the beach cruiser section: "Something new and kinda sorta 100 years old looking". It's not rocket science, but it's fairly involved.

mikewayne

Dec 29, 2010
Newyork, Newyork
thats awesome search buddy... but that was a very old technique probably a 100 year old or more than that.... yes should really think of a alternative for fuel.... this would work out.... hope that it should be provided with adequate water supply!!!dance1