My first Motorized bike

GoldenMotor.com

bowlersp

Jun 29, 2008
hello, my name is steve and i live in ofallon, il. i purchased a 50cc thatsdax IF motor. I will be mounting it on my huffy bike. i can't wait to get the engine and put it together. is it real hard to install one of these if you have never done it before? i don't really have any mechanical experience but i would like to try to put it together myself if it is feasible. i know a guy who is willing to install it for 100 bucks. what do you guys think? what tools do i need for the install and how long does it usually take a newbie to install?

**VERY IMPORTANT**

will i be able to put on the throttle part if my bike has those weird 90 degree handles?

thanks for your help:)

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum Steve, Glad you joined us :D

I have heard guy's who took two hours to install....I've also heard of guy's who took three day's???

We have alot of members who have never held a wrench in thier hand before and do a great job on installing a kit.

The good thing...you came to the right place. If you have any questions and need a hand...feel free to ask, alway's someone here willing to help out.

Here is a good thread for you to read up on....http://motorbicycling.com/f30/bicycle-motor-preperation-care-354.html

:ride2:

bowlersp

Jun 29, 2008
thanks for the fast response. i just have one question though. my bike has those wierd 90 degree bike handles, will i still be able to slide the throttle onto the bike? thanks

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Hello bowlersp and welcome. I"m new here myself and your post caught my eye.

Are you a younger guy ? Don't have much in the way of tools ?

What I'd say to the guy who wants to so generously charge you $100 dollars is to just forget it. If you'll round up a few tools from a discount store you can get 95% of the work done by youself in less than two hours. Please don't rush it.

The experience you gain will be worth 10 times the $100 dollars to hire the job done. I'm assuming you have all the parts new in the kit with the instructions. I figure the mechanic who wants $100 for the job won't return the instructions or parts sheet. (this is something you learn with experience)

On the bicycle you are using, you have a choice to just take the handlebar brakes etc apart and turning them over so they look upright or just buying a
used set of upright bars off a scrap bike. You may want to get a larger upright seat that looks like a tractor seat also. If you reuse the handlebars
just put the hand brakes back on it and you can mount your throttle lever and kill switch (if your's has a kill switch to turn the motor off with)

I'd suggest you sit down and read thru the instructions several times and imagine doing the job step by step. The instruction booklet may explain to you just which tools you'll need for each step. But accomplishing a task like this is a rite of passage. What you can do with the bike motor kit can translate to working on a car or lawnmower etc.

Perhaps there will be someone in your neighborhood who would sit with you when you undertake installing it just to have an extra pair of hands around.
I doubt they would want to charge you $100 dollars either.

Most people who haven't done jobs like this before are a bit put off by them.
But believe me knowing you fixed it up yourself once you're riding it will give you a shot of self confidence that's priceless. Remember too there are books in the public library that detail working on bicycles and motors. I doubt you'll have to spend $15 dollars on tools either. When you start riding it stop every
so often and inspect all the bolted connections to make sure everything is holding tight. If not tighten it again and always keep an eye on your work. Don't assume that because you put it together it stay tight forever. Inspect it often.

Good luck and have fun ! :)

bowlersp

Jun 29, 2008
thanks for all the posts. this has given me confidence to do it myself. i am going to give it a shot. i'll post pics of my progress here while i am installing it, and believe me if i come across any gray areas (and i will) i'll post here so you guys can help me. thanks again for all the advice (^)

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Welcome to the forum, one of the most fun parts for me was the build and then firing it up for the first time knowing that i built it myself!

Try to do it if you can come here for advice and don't rush it.

(^)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the site. i will be the first to say my mechanical ability is pretty bad. i have been an air traffic controller most of my life and when i wasnt one i was a sales person. i ordered my first bike complete that was an electric one. finally i wanted a gas motor after about a year of the electric one and ordered it. i was intimidated big time with it and it sat on the work bench a long time before i got up the nerve to build it. however i did and it turned out nice. a few mistakes along the way but it was a learning experience. to give you an idea i didnt know the difference between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke and never heard of mixing oil and gas. i think with my lack of experience and knowledge it made it that much more wonderful when i got it done and it fired up the first time. my suggestion is definitely build it yourself. the satisfaction when done is worth its weight in gold. also you will know everything about it and be able to fix it when it breaks. we will all be right here with you to help and so will dax.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Welcome bowlersp. Ayup, you can do this and it is a great and I mean great joy when it fires up the first time. Then when you feel and hear the motor break in for the first time... Really is a high. Then you want to build another. Then a different style. then you can't look at a small motor with out thinking; "If I mounted that on the...." hehe

No worries. every problem you could possibly run into, has happened to some one else and the answer will be found.

bowlersp

Jun 29, 2008
i haven't received my order from thatsdax yet and it hasn't been shipped yet. i ordered it on the 11th and it hasn't shipped yet. anyway, i'll let you all know how the build is going once i start. thanks for your support!!