Questions on the 4G Kit

GoldenMotor.com

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I recently purchased and installed a 4g kit from bicycle-engines on my 1992 Spectra bicycle. I ran it 40 miles today without any show-stopping issues and changed the oil (it was filled with metal shavings... I'm guessing from break in). Overall, I'm really impressed with the performance of this engine. The only downside is the weight and width of the entire 4G setup. I have a few questions however.

1. There are two wires coming from the engine that end in a plug. Do these connect with the two wires leading to the kill switch in the throttle grip? If so, does the order matter?

2. The engine runs really well with minimal vibrations with throttle but the idle is fairly erratic. The engine speed changes by a couple hundred rpm every second at idle. I made sure that the engine is getting a good flow of gas and that the choke was off. Should I make sure that the spark plug is gapped properly (I never checked)? Is it worth setting the A/F ratio?

3. I can't get the rear sprocket to stay centered after riding the bike for a few miles. It will stay true side to side but not vertically (on the y axis). I was thinking about getting it trued and then applying a couple of drops of JB weld. Is this a good idea? I'm also running a 44 tooth sprocket and it doesn't seem to have any issues with any of the hills in my area. Do you think it's worth going with an even smaller sprocket? (Before break-in the engine's max crusing speed seems to be around 27 mph).

4. Are half links usable at all to get the drive chain length correct without using a tensioner? I tried before on my 2 stroke but the chain kept popping off the rear sprocket.

Thanks

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Metal shavings? not good buddy that is not a sign of break in thats a sign of breaking. I would contact your vendor you purchased it from before proceeding.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I have heard that it is normal to get some metal shavings in the oil after draining it the first time. Other than the shaky idle (which has been happening since I started the engine the first time) and a popping noise from the exhaust ever once in a while, it really seems to be running well. Do you not believe that it's worth it just to check the plug gap before returning the whole engine?

Thanks

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
#1 yes and order doesn't matter
#2 Yes reset idle, a/f screw, and gap plug
#3 I suggest replacing the rag joint sprocket w/ one of the many rigid set ups available.
#4 Yes 1/2 links are useable it was likely some thing else derailing your chain.

A small amt of metal in your oil is normal. It is usually fine like graphite so depending on the size of the shavings i.e. fine is ok chunks aren't.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
A small amt of metal in your oil is normal. It is usually fine like graphite so depending on the size of the shavings i.e. fine is ok chunks aren't.
Thank You guys for educating me, I had no idea...

So, does anybody else have any more input on this normal metal shavings..educate more please.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

So, does anybody else have any more input on this normal metal shavings..educate more please.
Well just as a heads up...when I installed a 4G kit on my most recent ride, I noticed a lot of very fine metallic particles floating around in the gas tank and in the fuel line to the filter. Prior to filling the tank up with gas, I had blown it out thoroughly with compressed air.

With this in mind, I would suggest you rinse a brand new tank out with some fresh gas, then blow it out before you install it. And you can kreem it as suggested from that point as well. And last but not least...put an inline filter between the tank and carb as the petcock filter (the gas valve filter) just isn't enough protection from fine contaminants. As an extra precautionary measure, I stick very strong magnets near the petcock on the gas tank...that's just me! Hope this helps...cheers!

Attachments

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama

There is a little bit of metal shavings in every used engine oil. That is part of what the filter is for, along with carbon deposits and what not, on a 4-stroke enigne such as a car or motorcycle. You don't see it with a 2-stroke because it blows out the exhaust. If you ever got your hand too close to the exhaust on a weed eater or something when the rpm's were high, you could probably feel them hitting your skin, though not a good idea to try it. They will stick in your skin as well. But yeah, I agree, fine metal flakes is completely normal, especially with a new engine. The amount of metal in the oil will get to be less as the engine breaks in, but it will never completely go away. Just part of running an engine and the importance of changing oil. Terry is right about the chunks, too. If there is anything other than fine flakes, you are probably going to have a problem.

Just my $.02

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
frequent oil changes are the best maintenance you can do for these little 4strokes :)
(I changed mine every 100 miles for the first 500, then bumped them up to every 250),,,
I am at 5800+ on my HS now :)