Tools of the Trade...suggestions.

GoldenMotor.com

Brokk

Mar 25, 2010
North Little Rock, AR
I am new at building custom bikes and I'm looking to buy some tools to get started. I know there will be many different oppinions but I would love some suggestions on which type of welder to buy to learn on and to do the job right, what is the best grinder and what to use to cut metal (i.e. chopping tubing). Oh, and I'm on a budget to boot, but arenet we all.

Thanks!

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
dont buy a cheap welder.

Lincoln, Hobart, and Miller all make a good wire feed mig welder for your use!

I suggest the Hobart Handler 140.
Your going to need a chop saw too. You can get em cheap just make sure you can set an angle with it like a mitre saw.
Tubing benders can be picked up reasonably low cost if you go the manual route.

[email protected]

Oct 18, 2009
hillsboro,ohio
yeh, i would like to know also about some of the tools needed to make working on these bycycles somewhat easier. like a spoke wrench, a holding stand,maybe a truing stand,a good quality chainbreaker.anybody know who carrys this stuff?

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
allen keys, wrenches (metric and standard stubby's) a set of pliers (side cutters, needlenose, bluntnose) some visegrips are always handy, screwdrivers.... a newfie wrench (adjustable)

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Check out my thread ( Tools For Newbies For Custom Builds or Restorations ), Here's the Link for the newby just click here:http://motorbicycling.com/f36/tools-newbies-custom-builds-restorations-15395.html

I'll say that the cheap Harbor Freight welder's work fine for some of us!

But if you have the money definitely purchase a professional welder!

Here's a Link to welders web huge amount of info about the following welders: WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts - Powered by vBulletin

Hobart
Discuss Hobart products...
Lincoln
Discuss Lincoln Electric products...
Miller
Discuss Miller Electric products...
Everlast
Discuss Everlast products....
Harbor Freight
Discuss Harbor Freight products...
Longevity
Discuss Longevity products....
Hypertherm
Discuss Hypertherm products...

I'll say this much for the cheap tools you'll save a ton of money using the HF tools, and if you're budget is limited then start out with the cheap tools, and then upgrade to higher quality tool's!

If you think I'm kidding just checkout Graucho's build Fat Tire Chopper, he built the chopper using a cheap $100.00 90 Amp Harbor Freight Flux-Cored welder, here's the Link to his build Fat Tire Chopper: http://motorbicycling.com/f40/fat-tire-bicycle-chopper-6778.html.

Read his post on this build it's post #34 Graucho's Build List Fat Tire Chopper: When I see other peoples builds I always ask myself...."self" where did he get that item? Well, i'm not going to leave anybody out there hang'in with that question. I hope this helps someone if they need a similar part that I have used on my bike. I used to have better tools but I got rid of them when I thought I was getting out of building. (wrong) since, I bought a lot of stuff "on the cheap" and they have worked out just fine. Take care and thanks for your kind words everyone. by graucho

If you are custom fabricating building your bike from scratch, you can build a bike with a 4-1/2" grinder & a cheap 90 amp welder! It's not easy but with practice you'll be surprised what you can build! Checkout the Book: Bikes, Scooters, And Chopper Projects For The Evil Genius by Brad Graham or his website: Atomic Zombie™ Extreme Machines Builder's Forum

Peace Crazy Horse.