Hi From SF Bay Area!

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Hey guys, my name is weekend-fun and i am new to MBs. I live in the Sf bay are a and im hoping to find a ridi-
HOLD up ther weekend. We arent noobs. We have over half a thousand posts! Not funn-
SHHH SAM!! maybe if i act like a noob they wont notice and all the money i spent will come back!
thats the stupidist idea ive evar heard! Besides, the money wasnt wasted!
SHHH!
NO U!

OK OK GUYS CALM DOWN!
As you might of guessed, im moving to Palo ALto, CA this June. But Im worried that it would illeagal for me to ride my bike, me being 11. Does anyone know the laws?? Also, if you live near Palo Alot, PM me, mabe we can ride together or just meet up :D
-Sam

Santa_cruz_loc

Jan 15, 2010
Santa Cruz, CA.
I cant speak for Palo Alto, however I see them all the time here in Santa Cruz and San Jose. Here is the law as I know it here in California:
# here are two types of motorized bicycles, defined in the California Vehicle Code (VC) Sections 406(a) and 406(b).
# Section 406(a) VC refers to a moped or motorized bicycle as any two or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horespower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
# Section 406(b) VC refers to a motorized bicycle as a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that:

* Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts;
* Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground; and
* Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.
This is from the CHP website (sorry I can post the link)
As long as you keep them in the bike lane and observe the bicycle laws (when the cops are around) I don't think you should have any problems.

Sharksfan

Nov 28, 2009
San Jose, CA.
Hey Sam,

I live in San Jose and work at Stanford when the weather permits I ride to work. I have passed police cars in every city in between and never been stopped. (knock wood) It seems that if you have your helmet, lights and you look like you know what you are doing it is cool. But then again I try not to press my luck. Drop me a p.m. when you get in the area and we'll take 'em out some day.