Carb Float Issues

GoldenMotor.com

Cycofast

Jun 2, 2008
Indiana
I took apart my carb and adjusted the float, but I noticed that the plastic circular doughnut that does the actual floating is partially filled with fuel. Is this normal? If not, this could be why my float is malfunctioning. Anybody have this problem?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Haven't seen it but it makes sense that it would cause an overfill problem. Drain it and seal the leak. Then you should be good to go.

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Just to clarify.... do you mean that the float, separated from everything and held up to a light source behind it, has fuel inside it? Definitely need a new one if you can find one.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Let it drain and either seal it with a soldering iron, or some gasoline proof material like polyester resin (the stuff you do automotive body work with- not bondo, but the resing for fibre glass)...or order a new one from one of the vendors.

Cycofast

Jun 2, 2008
Indiana
Yes the fuel is actually inside the plastic float (after it has been completely taken apart). I think I will try an epoxy I have to fill the leak. Thanks to all for the feedback, I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you might have better luck checking with one of the engine sellers for a float epoxy will dislove in gas unless you can get some epoxy called safetypoxy used to build airplanes and their fuel tanks. The patch should be kept very small so it won't weigh down the float. I haven't had to mess with the float yet but if its the seam you might try superglue and use bakingsoda rubed into the seam or crack and put just a touch of superglue on the soda.
with fuel or fuel vapors inside the float you have a small bomb if hit with enough heat to set off the vapors.