Let me see if I've got Coils figured out

GoldenMotor.com

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Obviously someone needs to come up with a way to run some decent lights on these things.

My question is is would it be possible to run a separate light coil from another moped? Ya know, one that is supposed to mount on a machine with the same gap. Then just share the contacts of our already installed stock magneto (run wires to it and mount it on the outside somehow).

Am I like 100% wrong here? Would it just end up sucking it up from the existing coil? Or do you think there's enough of a contact area to add another?

Figure one could experiment with something like this (may not really be too useful, but at least your only out a couple dollars): moped mystery coil

And graduate into trying to make this work: puch 12 volt light coil

Check out the contact area though on the second one. There's is tiny compared to ours, yet our coil is crappier. That's where I got the idea from, but I really don't know what I'm doing. Never took any electronics courses or anything, just a year of electrical (and they never got to coils).

Edit: Oh, then there's also this: http://www.treatland.tv/HPI-moped-CDI-light-coil-p/hpi-light-coil.htm

Edit: Shoulda posted this in HP mods, oh well.

Last edited: