(^) In Frame Titan?

GoldenMotor.com

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
The In Frame Titan is now underway. I was sent a version of in frame kit using the HS motor which is a great motor but the gear box was the worst !! There are others using this gear box for 4 stroke IF's "in frames" . This is the gear box that has the reverse clutch. Reverse Clutch? Yep. Not really a clutch, but an engage devise. . I mean it, it slams the whole thing into action. To ease the slam, you need to pedal up to speed and then pull the clutch or clutch lever in. And then lock it in. Yikes !!! Thats right, pull it in. Whos idea is this to be copied? It is the pits and simply will not do at all.

So.. I have my own gear box that uses the same principle as the current gear box for Titan Carrier version. IT is silent, smooth, and is a simple twist a go operation. I have it installed and was testing it till the wee hours of this morning. I am running a 44T rear and it seems as though it is super fast !! Too fast. Since this gear box is 3:1 reduction, the 44T is way too tall. Climb is poor , speed is great !! Too great. At any rate, pre Test went well for a first build. I will make corrections and then have the setup copyrighted and apply for any and all patents that are available. It will then go into production and then for sale. It will use the same Titan motor and parts with a different exhaust pipe and of course, in frame mounting hardware. It also requires a crank swap to make for a wider crank since the motor is wider than the smaller 2 strokes. This crank swap will be the most work for installers but is not too bad to install once you can remove your old crank. So..In all, the IF requires a few hours more of work than the RC "rear Carrier" version. My guess is that the new Titan IF will be available for sale by Spring. Since a lot of testing and refinement is needed before our company will even attempt to sell a new product. Our engineers have to test and then believe in a product before we can sell it. So.. Hang in there IF lovers.. Titan IF is a coming !!! Once copyright has been sent away for and Dated, I will then post pictures of the new Titan IF. Enjoy the ride...

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
ummm... theres no such thing as too fast!

Looks like it could be an interesting idea - I have waited along time for a kit that is a commercial engine with the relevant kit for frame mounting etc.

I did look at the hua sheng engine - but thats another story and I ended up with the GEBE again :)

good luck with it and let us know whats happening

Jemma xx

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Awesome, good to see that a kit is being worked on.

I was tempted to buy the bare Titan and rig up my own IF mount, but then I realized that while I have a LOT of tools, I don't have some of the tools/resources I would need for a project like that (money being one of them)

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I am anxious to see this setup!

I have a gearbox with the engager that had (notice past tense) to be held in, but it also has a centrifugal clutch. I altered the engager so that it is always engaged and now is "twist and go"- I have not used the engager handle since, even though it can be used to disengage.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Sounds really really cool. Pardon a few stupid questions because I don't know the current Titan gear box.

So this new gear box, how is it lubed?

The new clutch mechanism, what type is it?

The wider crank, how wide?

I will be in the market for a 4 stroke engine for our next version of the shifter kit. Your engine sounds ideal. These are complimentary things, as we have no intentions, in the near term future, of going into the engine selling arena.

Thanks,

P

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
The In Frame Titan is now underway. I was sent a version of in frame kit using the HS motor which is a great motor but the gear box was the worst !! There are others using this gear box for 4 stroke IF's "in frames" . This is the gear box that has the reverse clutch. Reverse Clutch? Yep. Not really a clutch, but an engage devise. . I mean it, it slams the whole thing into action. To ease the slam, you need to pedal up to speed and then pull the clutch or clutch lever in. And then lock it in. Yikes !!! Thats right, pull it in. Whos idea is this to be copied? It is the pits and simply will not do at all...
um....I hope these statements are more for marketting than a user's account....because the gearbox you are referring to is not at all hard to use, does not "slam" the works into action if the user knows what they are doing...and the rider should never "pedal up to speed" before engaging.

It's this simple- with the gearbox not engaged, start the engine. Let it idle down to the proper speed where the centrifugal clutch is not engaged (if it is engaged at idle- adjust), engage the gearbox and pedal away or just motor away...that easy.

I look forward to seeing other transmission options- but the Skyhawk II (now III) works just fine with a user who knows how to use it.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Oh. ok.. I guess I had my idle too fast. I figured as much.. but.. I gave away all 4 of these engines and gear boxes for a song and dance and all I asked for in return was feed back on performance. And.. All 4 Stage II type gear boxes had failed in less than 500 miles. No kidding. Again.. This is the reason I choose not to sell them. I have read where some have rebuilt these gear boxes and made improvements to them and the reliability improved. But..They still complain of the Clatter and noise coming from these gear boxes. I have a Grubee Version with no clutch engagement and it works good. Problem is, it sounds like a loaded school bus in reverse trying to climb Trail Ridge road !! No kidding. The Gear whine is so loud, I can not hear the engine. The Whine is so loud I can be heard coming from 3 blocks away. Seriously.. So I chose not to sell these as well because of this. As for the Clutch version of the gear box.. Well.. IT still operates in reverse which is funky for sure. As you can tell, I am not a fan of any of the gear boxes. But I am working on a version that will fix all of this. It has been in the works for almost 2 years now. It may take another year or so. But.. Rest Assured, if we sell it, it is because it is good. If the 4 stroke IF's with gear boxes were good, we would be selling them and supporting them. Axiomatic.. As you can clearly see, we do not sell them.. And that is for good reason. It is because they are not good. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride..

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
That is your experience and I will not argue with that...but many people have many, many more miles on them (one thing I can say for sure is that engaging the gearbox with the centrifugal clutch engaged will certainly not help gearbox life). I do not use the engager at all- at all. I don't even have a cable hooked to it. Perhaps that helps. Other have done some repairs, but nothing I would deem a catastrophic failure.

As I said- I look forward to seeing more and better 4 stroke, in-frame options (I'm sure they will come)....but so far I'm still waiting. Meanwhile, I am riding with the Skyhawk II with very little hassle.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Well.. As you know.. I buy, sell and test. And I am on the Forums all the time. And.. I track things.. If there is anyone with a few thousand miles or more on one of these 4 strokes with the Grubee type or style gear box and have done no mods and no serious problems or break downs.. Well.. Step up to the plate and tell us about it. So.. Far.. I have not seen this. Not at all. And my experience with these, and I admit, limited, has not been favorable at all. But..Then again.. I have only had 5 of them. 4 have failed, and 1 I just quit riding because of the Gear Whine. That may be why it has not failed. But again..That is my experience with the Grubee. Grubee wanted me to sell these. I told them no way.. But again.. If there is anyone that has a few thousand trouble free miles, or more, let me know.. This thread is open for some long Term updates on these grubee type gear boxes. There were other threads also open for this subject.. And. No favorable updates came.. But.. I have heard that Grubee is on 5th Gen. Maybe those are better. From what I can tell, the Grubee is a knock off of the Staton with a patent on some changes to it. IT sure looks like a Staton knock off to me. The Staton Gear box is excellent. I have not heard anything good about the Grubee version. Not at all. And my experience with the Grubee style gear box has been very disappointing at best. On the flip side, I have only heard great things about the Staton gear box.

Last edited:

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
the gearbox is the only reason i'm not using these on my personal bikes. i want 4-stroke. i installed a titan rack-mount on my dad's bike, and LOVED the smooth power and ease of operation.
i have to have frame-mount, because i'm obsessed with the way they look.

once somebody gets the gearbox right, they'll be golden.