Dies during idle

GoldenMotor.com

rogersradios

Jun 28, 2008
I have kit I purchased from livefast. I got it on my bike and can zoom around the neighborhood but it always dies when I come to a complete stop or a very slow roll. I have adjusted the throttle but it still dies. I always have to keep moving just a little because a complete stop or slow roll kills the engine. The thottle adjustment just made it run too high. I am questioning if I have the clutch adjusted correctly. When the engine is engaged and the motor is off, I can not pedal at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
the screw on the side of the carb is the idle speed adjustment to increase idle speed turn it clock wise. you should be able to get it to idle at acmplete stop with this adjustment screw. get the bike running and pullin the clutch lever and lock it while blipping the throttle and turn in the screw to get it to idle at an rpm that makes you happy.

rogersradios

Jun 28, 2008
Hi Norm,
I must having something wrong because if I pull the clutch lever back when the motor is running it kills the engine.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re-adjust your cable. Loosen the brass cable end piece at the clutch arm, then turn the lever/cable adjuster to the middle point. Now push the arm up tight. (it helps to have an extra person here, one to pull the cable and push the clutch arm in, the other to tighten the end piece.)

Then tighten the brass end piece back down and try it. If it still drags a little, turn the cable adjuster out a few turns and try it again.

That should do it.

rogersradios

Jun 28, 2008
I tried that. There is not much play in how far I can adjust the clutch arm in reference engaged and not engaged. If I tighten just a little the motor will not engage. If I loosen it just a little, I cannot peddal. I think the motor engages perfecly. If I press the clutch handle,it peddals well. I release the clutch handle and the motor kicks on and off I fly. I know I have it idling to high because I am running almost 5 to 10 mph with no throttle. I adjusted the idle thinking it may be the problem. I will adjust it counter clockwise and slow it down. Why is it when I stop it stalls? My wheels have to be turning at least a little or it will stall. Please understand this is my first experience on any type of work with a motor. I am an antique radio restorer by hobby but riding this bike is more fun than listening to an old tube radio I have restored.
Thanks

cdoug50

Jun 25, 2008
Maine
I was having same problem with engine dying at slow roll or complete stop. Found that I had an air leak at carb intake tube where it mounts to the engine. Try disengaging the clutch without backing all the way off the throttle. While engine is still running and bike is not moving have someone else blow some smoke aroud the carb and intake tube. (I used an incense stick to give me the smoke needed) If the smoke is sucked into the engine , you have an air leak. I corrected by removing the intake tube and applying black rtv sealant before reattaching tube. RTV sealed the leak and now can adjust idle without any problem and no more stalling engine.
Good Luck!