Unknown electical? problem, after wet ride..replaced everything still nothing

GoldenMotor.com

Billyroe

Apr 24, 2016
Jacksonville FL
Okay this is my first post here, ive read hundreds of threads and finally decided to create an account. So here is the deal i had a perfectly running basically bone stock 66cc (nt carb 66jet, 2nd to top needle setting) and i had to ride 8 miles in the rain and it went south about a half mile from home... the bike started 4 stroking HARD then bogging/cutting out for a full couple seconds and then just 4 strokes for a few more seconds just to bog cut out for another couple seconds for the rest of the way. when i arrived at home i idled the bike for 10 minutes with a heater pointed at the magneto after i took the case off. (ive completely submerged an engine before after running it off a dock, did this process and the motor lived happily ever after) The next day its business as usual until about 22,23,24 mph and 4 stroking comes on hard followed by bogging out.... ran like this for 2 days and ive tried everything from different exhaust, different head, new magneto, new magneto magnet, new cdi, different carb, and now the motor has slowly begun to 4 stroke/bog at a lower and lower speed and now barely goes 10 mph and pulsates while at idle and WOT!! CLUTCH IN OR RIDING IT DOES THE SAME THING! if anyone has any recommendations on a fix let me know, this is my 5th build and im stumped.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
You have done everything I would think to do. I would not have changed the carb. because things were fine before the wet (I'm guessing). Just suggestions for you to ponder. Could the engine have sucked in so much water and kept it in the base? Could the fuel in the tank be contaminated with water. 4 stroking makes me think rich condition. Was it running correctly before the rain? Did you try fresh fuel in your trouble shooting?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Maybe take a look at your wood ruff key on your rotor magnet? Maybe it has starting to sheer off and the timing is off a bit? It's all I can think of.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Crassius, all that sitting and thinking and you can't suggest somthing other than what has already been suggested by someone else 2 posts up? Post some pics on your public profile give a little substance to your thinking. Another 4 year MB member. Not a single pic and no idea where in heck your from.

Last edited:

Billyroe

Apr 24, 2016
Jacksonville FL
RESOLVED- okay well turns out i am just an idiot, or was yesterday..... turns out when i thought i had swapped the magneto i didnt..... i took it out and put it back in... which had a dangling disconnected wire that was swinging back and forth making a connection then pulling away .... another problem, me being a idiot, upon examination of the float bowl i discovered that my main jet and the thing it screws into(forgot name) had come unscrewed entirely.... so nothing to do with the rain just being an idiot. The rain didnt penetrate into my magneto case. Bike runs perfectly now thanks for the responses!

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
You did it! Don't be so hard on yourself. Many of us here have been through similar dilemmas and have come through just like you have. Pleased you worked it out for yourself. It's good to dive right in and learn like you have.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Crassius, all that sitting and thinking and you can't suggest somthing other than what has already been suggested by someone else 2 posts up? Post some pics on your public profile give a little substance to your thinking. Another 4 year MB member. Not a single pic and no idea where in heck your from.
sorry, on a win9x machine and hard to see all onscreen

glad you got it working