Safety Data?

GoldenMotor.com

dovedescending

Jul 7, 2013
Georgia
I'm curious about the safety statistics surrounding motorized bicycles. It's easy enough to find statistics about bicycle and pedestrian accidents, or motorcycle accidents, but the data on motorized bicycles is eluding me.

I am well aware that stepping outside my door is dangerous, etc etc. I'm interested in specifics. Any ideas or leads?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'm curious about the safety statistics surrounding motorized bicycles. It's easy enough to find statistics about bicycle and pedestrian accidents, or motorcycle accidents, but the data on motorized bicycles is eluding me.
My guess would be that any motorized bicycle accidents would be included
with motorcycle data.

Also the number of motorized bicycles on the road is tiny compared to motorcycles or bicycles.

Are there separate statistics on Mopeds? Vespa type scooters? Gopeds?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have some advice.
Relax and go ride your bike!
It won't be very long before fracking kills everyone or you get hit by a chunk of frozen toilet water from a plane.
Enjoy life while you can...

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
What makes it even worse is that whether motorbike statistics are listed under motorcycles or bicycles probably varies by jurisdiction.

But we're such a tiny group compared to the population as a whole that there probably just isn't a whole lot of data to be had at all. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there isn't a number of state transportation depts and such who have no statistics at all.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
What makes it even worse is that whether motorbike statistics are listed under motorcycles or bicycles probably varies by jurisdiction.

But we're such a tiny group compared to the population as a whole that there probably just isn't a whole lot of data to be had at all. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there isn't a number of state transportation depts and such who have no statistics at all.

SSSHhhhhh.......no need for the guberment to spend more of our tax $$$'s. Just my opinion! .duh.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
SSSHhhhhh.......no need for the guberment to spend more of our tax $$$'s. Just my opinion! .duh.
Like there is not enough stuff to be concerned about...
I feel a dark stirring in the Force! It feels like a safety storm trooper!
He wants to attack us with Government restrictions on motorbicycles! FLEE!
FLEE while you can!
*jumps on motorbike and rides off laughing*

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Don't get me wrong. I certainly don't want them paying more attention to us either. They're gonna be tempted to kick us off the road 'for our own good'.

Maybe it's best that we're such a small group that we don't even merit statistics.

dovedescending

Jul 7, 2013
Georgia
I'm not wringing my hands worried about safety. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Evel Knievel, safety is important. But motorized bicycles are the odd man out. They're not nearly as fast or as heavy as motorcycles, but they're not 100% comparable to regular bicycles either. Inquiring minds wish to know.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'm not wringing my hands worried about safety. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Evel Knievel, safety is important. But motorized bicycles are the odd man out. They're not nearly as fast or as heavy as motorcycles, but they're not 100% comparable to regular bicycles either. Inquiring minds wish to know.
Riding a motorized bicycle is less safe than riding a bicycle or a motorcycle.

If you don't know what you are doing building them and if you aren't an
experienced 2 wheeled rider they can get you from seriously hurt to dead. :)

I have discouraged more than a few people from riding them.........

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And sometimes even if you think you know what you're doing they can still mess you up. just ask me or tom...
Hey, I reached a milestone today. I'm able to walk up stairs almost normally. I can't go down them yet but...:)

These bikes aren't any more dangerous than any other aspect of motorsports. Motorize anything and you've added to your chance of getting hurt. You don't even need an engine. Browse through Youtube and search for "bicycle crashes" to see what the pedal guys get themselves into.

Baird and I had freak accidents that MIGHT have been prevented but we're both experienced builders who recognise the potential for a mechanical failure yet here we are licking our wounds because something totally unexpected/unforeseen happened.

Dangerous? Nope. But lots of fun and a satisfying hobby for those willing to take a little risk. Think about what risk you take the next time you get in your car for a trip to the store, or for that matter, walk across the street.

I'm sitting here chompin' at the bit until I can straddle one of my bikes again and hit the streets. There's that annual Denver motorcycle rally coming up in September and I have every intention of joining them again this year. My bike might be fenderless, but I'll be there.

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
If you really, really have to crunch numbers and get statistics (to convince someone or make your argument, I'm guessing) then the best chance you'll have is to go through the How did you get injured on your motor bike? thread, figure out how many posts regarding new injuries there are. From that you can determine the ratio of members to posters. You still won't have accurate numbers, there are probably members who could have posted there but haven't, there are many who use the forum but aren't members (there are 18 members and 104 guests using the forum as I post this, and 291 members and 4757 guests over the last 24 hours), an unknown number probably use other forums, not this one, or don't even know that there are forums and are out there doing it on thier own.

Seriously, relax. Every day is an adventure.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=2918

Last edited:

mkatt4x4

Aug 30, 2013
Canada
I worry about other ignorant motorists on the road. Even just walking on the sidewalk trying to cross a ped. crosswalk you got people bareley missing you by a few feet, yet the law states its an occupied crosswalk with a huge fine ($2000).

Riding the bicycle on the road you get drivers straddling 2 lanes missing you by a foot or 2. What if the crosswind picked up, or there was a pot hole, or I tried to miss a grizzly bear doing a moonwalk across the road?

I think certain safety fines should be escalating. High fines, Double Fines. I think in the near future red light type cameras will be everywhere, very small and hidden.