Learned a lesson on the R.I. ride

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
The R.I. ride was great. Some of the best roads I've rode on. I rode my 49-50 Roadmaster with about 300+ powered miles on it. Has never given me a moments trouble, UNTIL this ride! The run was mostly @ high speed and at one point I felt a drop in power. Didn't think much of it as there was still enough power. Later I looked down and could see my (standard HT) exhaust moving. The manifold nuts had come loose. I was supprised two ways, first I never had that problem, second I would have expected an increase in power with a loose exhaust.

The lesson I learned was: No matter how dependable the bike is, always do a preflight checkout and always carry your emergency tool kit. Anyone who has a HT engine knows enough to at least carry a 10mm wrench(except me).
Slowbalt helped helped me tighten the exhaust wit my only tool a SCREWDRIVER!

Attachments

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Yeah I always carry my backpack with the essentials. These bikes get heavy fast when you have to push/pedal.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Great looking bike.

Yeah, IMO the stock exhaust is the most problematic part on the bike. If they don't come loose at the head, the muffler breaks off of the header pipe.