Bikester

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have the next two projects already mapped out so it will take a while but the next project is the Bikester.

I am going to take a girls 20" bicycle frame. Some of them come with the hand brake on the front. I can use the brake lever for the throttle. I can always use the caliper somewhere for sure.

The engine will be gravity clutch, but no lever control. A pure lift and lock for starting, warm up and to pedal it. Drag start after the initial warm up. In other words a stripped down bike that I make. It will be a semi production model. In other words the bike that I wanted to build for about a hundred bucks.

Easy for an old guy like me to get on. Raise the seat all the way up and it should be easy enough to pedal the small amount needed to get it started.

fit it out with a used 25 to 31cc weed whacker engine and it should be good to go. I think at the thrift store I can get those bikes on sale for about ten bucks each, then the motors for about 25 on ebay. Minimum engine mount and repairs on the bike and send them out the door.

Plus I think they might look cute. Like a combination bicycle and scooter or a bikester.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I found a 20" bike at the thrift store. $8. It had one hand brake but not gears it's perfect. I am thinking that I will use the lever as a throttle or clutch I'm not sure. The ryobi engine from ebay came today. Since it runs I'm going to go ahead and build the bikester. Actually it is almost finished.

I just have to add the lock nuts tomorrow and wire the controls. not sure just what all I will use but I'm going to give it some thought tonight.

I shot some pics of just the bike but I had the camera setup wrong so tomorrow the images I make will have the motor on it. Might as well finish it before I shoot the pics now.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
This is your basic one each generic bikester..

the first ride was a nightmare...

the front tire is a knobby. That in itself should been enough to convince me to run away screaming. The throttle linkage is adjusted wrong. When the clutch gets released the engine is wide open. To slow it down, I have to raise the engine which releases the throttle. And of course the kill switch wire fell off. All in all a pretty hairy first ride. Oh yeah the seat kept moving lol.

I am determined to master it though. So the bikester lives to try another day. I need a seat that sticks back over the post maybe on that ties to the rear axle. Is that a banana seat.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I rode it around the block again. Still has the same throttle problem. Also I didn't change out the tire so the ride was rough. Plush the seat still slips and My knees now hit the handlebars. That enough for me. It is possible to build a bikester but since I can't ride it it is just not for me.

Tomorrow I will switch everything to the mtb... Shouldn't be too difficult to do. I am going to spend what is left of the day resting. I was going to go buy some smooth tires for the 20 wheels I have but, i haven't moved the car in a couple of months and the battery is dead. I might recharge it once but that's probably all before it is history.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Where are your knees hitting on the bars? To help solve that you can turn them out and over the front tire a little bit- IF the bike is comfortable except for the knees in the handle bars turning them a bit might make the bike comfortable.

It looks like you should be able to do that from the pictures on your blog...

You might try looking for a bmx frame from DK, Haro, or mongoose. They make long low BMX frames. Their frames are used by older people when doing BMX racing, so you should be able to ride them without banging your knees- frames can be pretty cheap and I see them all the time on clist. But often you get just the frame, 'cause the person selling it thrashed the rest.

For the seat slipping, Try making a shim out of a soda or beer can- a little strip, an inch wide and 2 inches long should stop that slipping.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'll keep the shim in mind for my next seat problem. The reason for the bikester was ease in finding frames to build with. I was thinking of building them for sale but with the frame being uncomfortable it might not be a good idea. To search out a special frame defeats the purpose of the simple cheap build. Just not worth the effort. It's back to the 24" or 26" mountain bike for me. I did get some parts and some experience so it wasn't a total waste.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I see them now and then and would never have thought of one except my grand daughter's 24" full suspension is taller than my 26" mtb.

Last edited: