changing cdi cable????

GoldenMotor.com

jmr3394

Apr 5, 2010
U.S.A.
How do i change the old cdi spark plug cable with a new one? (High performance one from sickbikeparts)???? THanks, JMR

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The cable is simply cork screwed into the cdi lefty loosy righty tighty . Just unscrew it from the cdi. You can find a 7mm wire at any auto store. Get one for an old Volks Wagon. It will have a none resister wire core

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Granted these kits aren't the highest quality - but there's gotta be a reason yer killin' CDIs, check all your connections for proper insulation (solder & shrink wrap is ossum) and double check yer wiring;

As for a replacement CDI - where'd ya get the other? Just about any of our vendors sell 'em tho ;)

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
How do i change the old cdi spark plug cable with a new one? (High performance one from sickbikeparts)???? THanks, JMR
Spark Plug Wire
Remove your old spark plug wire from the CDI box by unscrewing it in a
counterclockwise rotation. Test fit the plug wire and cut it to an appropriate length. Screw
the cut end of the plug wire into the CDI box using a clockwise rotation and apply firm
pressure toward the CDI at the same time. The plug boot will require a standard ball type
end on you plug. The old stock one had this piece removed exposing a threaded tip. This
boot will not work with the stock plug. Be sure to acquire the correct plug.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/Manuals/Installation instruction for assorted products.pdf

Another little tip is to apply some silicone dielectric grease (aka "tune-up grease") to the the cable before threading it in. Makes it real easy and seals it up nicely.

Thanks!!

Kmieciu4eveR

Sep 3, 2010
Poland
Hi!
I am trying to change the stock plug wire, but i`m unable to unscrew it from the CDI. It seems to be glued, it won`t even budge. I was able to unscrew the plastic plug cap by hand. Should I use more force and maybe some pliers? I don`t want to break it.

Do you have any suggestions? Are all the CDI`s the same?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
All the CDI's are the same for the China two strokes that I know of. Maybe give us a picture and the make of your motor?

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Hi!
I am trying to change the stock plug wire, but i`m unable to unscrew it from the CDI. It seems to be glued, it won`t even budge. I was able to unscrew the plastic plug cap by hand. Should I use more force and maybe some pliers? I don`t want to break it.

Do you have any suggestions? Are all the CDI`s the same?
I had the same issue as you today I wasnt payin alot of attention when unscrewing the stock plug wire from the CDI in fact wasnt even looking at what I was doing it felt like it was coming undone just nicely but i found that i was just turning the insulation around but it wasnt coming undone. I was left with insulation + cable leftin the CDI and the rest in my pliers. DOH! As you stated it is glued in with maybe epoxy glue or something similar coz the fxxker wasnt going to let up. At a closer look I could see the glue. Had to buy another CDI and cable.
Has anyone found a way to get these suckers out when they are glued in??:-||

tbnguyen

Mar 22, 2012
raleigh
I my cdi core is crack right above the spark plug. Do I need to change it or is it okay to still right around? Also it is leaking oil right there. I probably have to tighten it down?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I my cdi core is crack right above the spark plug. Do I need to change it or is it okay to still right around? Also it is leaking oil right there. I probably have to tighten it down?
If the CDI is leaking oil, it will end up putting you down. You can remove it and try to seal with epoxy. Clean with solvent like alcohol, and seal. I'd take it off ASAP, to quit leaking.