12 volt generator idea

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
If you search localy, you can prolly get a used one for about 1/2 cost of a new one and not pay shipping..

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
found complete set ups for 2cycle motor on"ebay" to convert to 12 volt sytem complete with charger[works off engine}, 12 volt lights, switches,magneto, battery all for about 180 bucks[us]"dyno lighting" check it out.

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
180 bucks is way too much for a lightning system. I have all my needed lights I'm just looking for a reliable way to power them. I'm actually looking at picking up CDI that will give me the voltage necessary to run my lights as long as the engine is on.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
so whats your budget?i have no afiliation with the people selling on ebay.but i did find seperate pieces at thier ebay store.for a 12 volt mini generater and switch was only 57 bucks w shippin item#400109306480.worth checking into anyway.

Lazy Dog

Oct 13, 2011
STL
There's an easier way to do this. I'm gonna go take pics. I'm still working on it. But it's a clean install and does work. It's just the electronics, because I'm using li-ion's so charging is more of alot more of a problem. brb with pics and a better description.

If there's any electronic guys here I could use a hand.

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
Li-ion wouldn't be a horrible route to go since you could use the 18650 size batteries and get 3.7 volt at up to 3600mAh. That puts you at around 3 AA or AAA batteries for compatibility with many existing led lamps.

Lazy Dog

Oct 13, 2011
STL
Sry it took so long to get back got busy.
Real quick how I got here,
1 Bike broke wouldn't start seemed like spark.
2 New jaguar CDI, Didn't fix (BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, AMAZING)
3 new magneto coil, FIXED
k cool bike runs, but I couldn't believe a coil could just brake like that, So I ripped it up to see. Turns out there are 2 winds the 6v light (white wire) and the Running wires (black and blue).
Cut, chop, hack, and two bends, and it can easily fit on the other side of the magneto. 2 coils one runs the bike and the other charges my battery pack. since there different sources there isn't any power loss as far as I can tell or feel at least.

any ways I did figure out how to continuously charge the li-ion's, I had to develop and make a board and circuitry so no pics for now.

14.8V at 15ah self charged :) I could still use an electronics guy to help clean up me hack job nut it DOES WORK.

Attachments

Last edited: