can anyone help me id this bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I looked for a good while too, nodda!

If ya happen past any bike shops, look for the oldest person working there and show them a pic.

OH! Also there are many vintage bike web sites/forums. Could ask there. I'm just really curious now. Normally in our happy little community, some one knows off the top of their head.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Insomniac theatre going here-

this is the only frame I've found that looks anything like yours- a '63 Murray
figures- I live in Murray Hill

Vintage 1963 Murray Spaceliner middleweight bike bicycle chrome Sears 3 speed | eBay

Yours to me looks like it could be this- but as I said a bit older even- the frame matches- the chainguard is sleeker, but there's a front rack too- I don't know how anything else matches up-

and I've now looked at almost every old brand- incredible how many there are
Fine Vintage Bicycles | Vintage Bicycles and Parts
Did someone post this link yet?
actually the frame is different- but the only one I've seen even close

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That Murray is awesome Kat! Man if I had the room.

(But then again, Carol would just confiscate it and tell me it is "to pretty to put a motor on" Happens a lot, lol)

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I don't think it's a Spaceliner. I just got a Spaceliner, and the cantilevers are different on this bike.

Here's a picture of a Spaceliner with the tank/light.
The "Murray Spaceliner" was made in the 1960's and supposedly did well for that decade. I'm sure that they made more then one model, or tweaked the bike here and there over the years to keep up with Schwinn at the time. I have not seen any other bike that ever looked like a Sears Murray Spaceliner. You never know though, it could be a knock off, lol...

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
My personal guess would be a Spaceliner older than this '63- It just says "1950's" to me-
By the 1960's big tanks were pretty rare except maybe a small one fixed around a light

and the 'snowflake" style sprocket is something that was generally used earlier- a european influence that disapeared when they cranked out more and more through the years- you could replace that with an annodized aloy one- search on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-SCHOOL-...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336e03595b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-School-...009?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cb3e7741

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OLD-SCH...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6d5d6140

Also- what about the tires- do they say 26x 1.75 or do they say 26x 1 3/4? A clue- generally I think it was Schwinn used a tire labled with fractions- or am I confused?

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Hey- here's a new entry I just saw on Craigslist in Jacksonville- When I saw the frame it seemed an instant match- though no tank on this Western Flyer- the fram does look very much like it- These were sold mostly at Western Auto I think in the 50's and early '60's.

Mens Western Flyer

actually now comparing the two- the frame again is not an exact match- yours is the only one I've seen with the bottom tubes not going on up to the headtube, like the spaceliner and this Western Flyer- Other than that it looks to have rusted chrome fenders- a back rack similar in shape, but not an exact match, and no tank. Also a more typically '60's style crank- so perhaps, again it's a later model- whether it's the same brand or not I'd say a later model- yours still looks very 50's to me

Here's my 1967 Peugeot PX10 in case you haven't seen it!

Attachments

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
wow thanks for the links an info gentleman, I know its a "TURD" right now . but as a painter I polish turds all the time , an I intend to polish this one . a lil later on sunday I may get some time to really look it over for any more info to be found physically on it . but I been really thinking bout stretchin it an building the wifes trike out of that one , or since its got such a nice patina on it , it would make a sweet rat .
Gary
Grandad always said you could polish a turd for days but all you would end up with was a shiny piece of s**t. (god i miss grandad)