Just start allready!!!

GoldenMotor.com

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
Everything is hooked up, fuel lines, electrical, everything. The spark plug is in, everything is just dandy... But the lil guy won't run. I got my horse to the water but he won't drink. I talked the the piston bikes guy several times and I think I'm on his last nerve. He told me to use the spark it came with instead of the NGk b6hs I bought because it's prolly not gapped right. That makes sence but I get spark without the plug provided but not with the plug provided. I know that due to a little game I like to call "shove a screw driver in there and hold it close to metal." regardless, I'm here because i don't wanna further ruin his day.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What plug gap are you running? It should be .024 to .028. That's a good starting point. Sparkplug gapping tools are cheap. Some auto parts stores give them away.
If you have ignition using the screwdriver trick the plug should fire unless you've got some crazy gap, something over .050 to .080.

Your problem might not be ignition.

Have you confirmed you have fuel flowing from the tank to the carburetor?

What is your fuel mix ratio? Should be no more than 24:1 gasoline to oil for break in. Disregard the 16:1 recommended by many instruction sheets that come with the engine. Too much oil.

Is the choke open? It might sound silly but people have tried to run an engine with the choke closed.

Get back to us with your findings.

Tom

Last edited:

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
I got about 2.6 oz in a gallon... I think... And IV tried it with both the choke open and closed. As far as fuel getting into the carb, I'm going with a definatly because when I first put gas in it it was flowing out of the filter. But a few taps on the float with a wrench fixed that. My educated guess is that the float wasn't floating at first and just needed a bump to get it floating. As far as spark gap, imam go and see what I can do because I don't actually have a gapper...

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
The first time I tried to start a newly installed happytime kit.
I almost had a heart attack. It was impossible to start..
No fuel in the carb. LOL

Remove the sparkplug hold the threaded part to the engine with the clutch engaged slowly push the whole bike looking for a spark at the gap.
If you have No spark check your ignition connections white taped off and the two black and blue wires coming from the engine firmly firmly connected to the wires coming from the cdi coil.
gently pull on the sparkplug wire . It screws in lol.
To check for fuel delivery to the engine.
Remove the two screws holding the carburetor bottom then open the petcock . Does fuel run out..
I allways had to prime my carb then use half choke peddle to about 10 mph let it rip.

I had to use a very steep and long down hill run to start my motorized bicycle the first time after peddling for about a mile trying to start it on level ground.

Finally is your clutch working. It should be extremely hard to peddle with the clutch out and the engine off.

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
Carbs got fuel and the plugs got spark, (I felt it) I know for sure that my sparks properly gaped now and so I will take it out again

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
Wait a sec... 2.6 oz in a gallon.... Isn't that about 50:1? I just found a nifty calculator and that's (when rounded) what it said... You said that I need to be about 24:1.... I need to add another 2.6oz to my gas..... Right? Idk what kinda bs math I was doin before... Does this sound right guys? I don't wanna add it and be wrong...

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Most tanks are one half gallon which will need 2.6oz of good quality air cooled two stroke oil to be at 24 to 1
Gas Oil Mixture Ratio Calculator

Remove the air cleaner to check the position of the choke.
And to see if your throttle slide is moving when you look into the carb while moving the throttle.
Try placeing about a teaspoon of fuel in the intake by dripping or splashing fuel into the open carb.
Then try to start it.
I have seen the jet clogged.
There is a necessary seal between the carb and the intake manifold. Most use a silicone or flat rubber washer.

Check post number 13 here
http://motorbicycling.com/f39/motorized-bicycle-carburetor-install-rebuild-302-2.html

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
Drained gas that was in the tank and carb back into my gas can and added some more oil. I found out my choke positions and yes, my throttle is hooked up correctly. I did remember to take the crown off the plug and I did put gasket sealant where directed in the thread. I should probably let it set overnight...

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
Still nothing.... It doesn't even sound like it's trying to start. Somethings not right... Perhaps inside the carb. Anyone had issues with getting fuel from in the bowl to the air flow? I dont know much about the insides of these lil guys but I'll bet that's my problem....

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
I have an NT and I can see straitht thru the jet so no issue there.

My clutch slips no matter what. I have even tighghtend it as hard as I can and it still slips...
Do I need new pads or can I just clean the ones I have? And if I can clean them what can I use to clean them?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
You might need to tighten up the internal nut to add more tension to the main clutch spring.
You would have to use something like a pin punch to hold the nut, and then roll the bike backwards a foot or two, then check clutch action.

jon31592

Apr 20, 2011
NE NC
I tightened it and tada! I got my clutch to grab! Aaaaand it starts up just fine....

dance1

I had issues with e kill but then I hooked the striped wire to the white one, now every things awesome! Too bad it's about to rain here.....

Everyones been so helpful here... The main thing was all the stickys and such so if anyone has an issue be sure to read the stickys!

IV never gotten a motor to run before in my life... Now, I have...
So much goes into these little guys, and it can seem complicated but it's really not. The hard part is all the tuning to make it perform optimally....
Soooooo, I'm off to break in, and tinker....

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Being able to troubleshoot and repair a problem by yourself does give a person a good feeling inside. You will find that tinkering with the various components part of the fun.

Study the parts, how they move and interact with one another and what seems complicated at first will become easier and easier to understand.

Enjoy!