Stretched Chopper with L-O-N-G Forks!

GoldenMotor.com

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
HseLoMien used a SBP Jack shaft kit and I did not. I use the standard rear mega-range cassette on the rear wheel. You can get a kit from Staton to convert your jackshaft that is already there to accept the sprockets you need to make your bike be the fastest in town. the bigger the better on the left side to connect the motor to the jackshaft. As I said, I use a 25t aluminium BMX sprocket for this. On the right side you can also get from Staton adaptors to put your OEM 20t 3 prong back on to drive the rear wheel cassette. I had a 18t from another bike that I used to lower my gear ratio. You will also need an adaptor for your jackshaft to mount a freewheel to go to your pedals. I am able to just push off with one pedal and let the clutch out and go. I have hit 40mph in 2nd gear wound tight but I can cruise at 25mph just of of idle on the flat. Hope this helped even just a little. Good luck on your build and enjoy turning heads after it is done!
Masterm222, that is awesome that you have reached 40 MPH in 2nd gear. I use the SBP shifter kit, there are 4 chains, The speeds i get per gear is really similar to my motorcycle. 17mph in 1st, 25 in 2nd and 31 in third, i have 7 speed and almost never use gears 4-7 unless i am going down hill, then i can get up to 40 MPH in those gearings. Whats the hill situation there? In Boston it is moderately hilly and i can get up most hills except for one area, i think i will change the gearing so i can get up the steepest hills, right now i must pedal assist. I also have the jackshaft kit from staton, I have not used it yet, but i will because i will be mounting a motor to, to use as a generator. I will have some pics up of the rebuild so you can see how i mounted the engine. Tomorrow the frame will be welded :)
.trk

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
Jhammer: I will try to take some close up pictures of my jackshaft this weekend and post them for you this weekend. Hope that will help. As far as motors, in my opinion just make sure you stay away from the cheap motors with 6mm head bolts. I just finished an install with a Skyhawk 66cc slant head and it runs great. Putting on an expansion pipe this weekend. Stock derailler - no problems yet with the stock one that came on my Stiletto. Just gear it right. 500 miles and counting and that is running up and down roads with a 45mph speed zone. Handlebar setup - right side with throttle and dual pull brake lever. I have disc on F & R. Left side with twist shifter and shortened grip and clutch lever. Simple, very functional, and looks good.

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
HseLoMien: It is pretty flat Here in Billings, Mt. One good hill going up to the airport and I have been able to pull it without pedaling in second. The megarange starts out at 34t and goes to 24t in second. The other five gears are close together make it down to 14t.

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Jhammer: I will try to take some close up pictures of my jackshaft this weekend and post them for you this weekend. Hope that will help. As far as motors, in my opinion just make sure you stay away from the cheap motors with 6mm head bolts. I just finished an install with a Skyhawk 66cc slant head and it runs great. Putting on an expansion pipe this weekend. Stock derailler - no problems yet with the stock one that came on my Stiletto. Just gear it right. 500 miles and counting and that is running up and down roads with a 45mph speed zone. Handlebar setup - right side with throttle and dual pull brake lever. I have disc on F & R. Left side with twist shifter and shortened grip and clutch lever. Simple, very functional, and looks good.

I fully agree stock dérailleur is plenty strong enough. wow you have a front disk, did it come like that or did you add it after. I have 2 Giant Stiletto Choppers and both do not come with the from disk brake. I have been on the quest for a front hub with disk mounts and a 14mm axle, i have yet to find it, Ive been on the hunt for about 18 months, only solutions i can find is to replace the entire front end with new forks, and a disk wheel that fits it.

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
Ya, I went the extra mile on this front disc brake set-up. I bought an American Classic 20" disc brake wheel with sealed brgs. It was a quick release hub so I removed the center part leaving the brgs in the hub. I then made two aluminium spacers to center and hold the hub on a 7/16" fine thread axle made by welding two grade 8 bolts with the heads cut off together. I centered the axle in the drop-out by shortening the shoulders of two chrome shank mag wheel lug nuts. I also had the washers that fit on the shank and clamp the assembly onto the front fork chromed. $150 wheel, two 1/2" thick pieces of aluminium that were scrap from a hole saw threaded and turned on a drill press to have a shoulder to fit inside the brgs. Two Chevy shank lug nuts with part of the shank cut off so they would be the right length to go into and fit the drop-out but not tighten against the aluminium spacers. Now tell me I am not nuts.! I have since then found $70 20" disc brake wheels with 3/8 axles that an adapter could be made for but I REALLY like these sealed brgs. I am jealous, I want two Stilettos but they are expensive. There is a black one with blue pin striping at a bike shop in town that I am in love with. Thing is, if I build myself another chopper I want a 4" or wider rear tire!

Last edited:

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
That is some ingenuity :-D Do you have any close up pics of your front wheel and dropouts? It looks like there isnt an easy way to add a disk to the from without hard work, or paying a lot of money. Its ok Ill have a front brake. I am probably going to order a fork and wheel set from Bicycledesigner.com just dont want to spend anymore money on this. well not huge money :)

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
All you have to do is order their 20" disc brake wheel for $62.99 and go to your bike shop and they sell adaptors for cheap so it will fit on your existing fork. You can get the caliper and disc set for around $32.00. That shoud be the cheapest way. I just wanted a sealed brg front hub because of the speeds I run at times, hence the $150 wheel and all the engineering.

Attachments

Last edited:

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
Since I was uploading pictures I took one of my latest project for my Stiletto. What you think? Still working on the linkage set-up. Planning on shooting the NOS straight down the middle!

Attachments

Last edited:

Jhammer

May 8, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Masterm222: thanks for the pics they are much appreciated i am curious as to whether you installed a SBP freewheel adapter in between you pedal drive gear and the other two gears, or if you pdeals just spin or what happens is the freewheel adapter not needed or is something needed just not the freewheel adapter that is needed to make it work? i also noticed that you welded the engine drive gear that is on the jack shaft to the existing "nub" im going to call it. I assume that this is easier?

btw your NOS this looks epic. no idea as to whehter this has any bearing on your creation but i was surf motor sites a little while back and i noticed that you this intake adapter pipe that had a notched cone piece on it, i was thinking that you could run i strong cable with tire valve on the end, and well riding take one of the tire-filling canisters, clip it on and fly, plus it would seem less suspicious.

just wondering for your guys opinions, i bought my stiletto used has small amounts of rust on the forks i was thinking about replacing it with a springer set, and so far i have only seen springer sets where i dont thinik it is possible to put a disk brake on? so stock with disk brake or springer without? as of right now im with the springer becasue the back brake does a great job and i really feel the bumps and im on the sidewalk

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
If you look close at the right side of the jackshaft you may be able to tell that the existing sprocket holder was threaded to accept a 20t free-wheel. That way the front chain to the pedals only moves when I pedal to start the motor. You can get these freewheels many places for as little as $10 or up to a $100 one from white industries. All depends upon the quality you want. As far as the left side a flange was welded onto the existing "nub" that I bolted the sprocket onto. That way I can change sprockets easily.
Check out Choppers U.S. LLC. They not only sell springers but they also sell the rocker dropouts so you can put disc brakes on your new springer. All I know is the first time I had to stop fast I just skidded the rear tire and damn near had to lay the bike down to keep from hitting the car that pulled right out in front of me. .duh. Quest for front disc was a priority from that day on! I have been looking at their 36" springer but it is kind of spendy! Any place cheaper that you know of that sells springers that long for less?
As far as putting the NOS on the dual carb set up I was thinking of the kit from Pirate cycles. I should be able to just drill and tap a hole right between the legs of the Y and shoot it straight to the intake port of the engine. In all reality I just hope it will run with dual carbs because it might look "cool". .mbv. Plus the carbs were just laying around so I can build it for a lot less than a nice big Mukini!

Jhammer

May 8, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Masterm222: sorry for the slow response been very busy as of late. At this Monet I asassembling an overall parts list, of everything i need to get to have the bike at the point that I will call it finished, it is quite a list. I am aloe in the next couple of days going to open a thread for my giant stiletto and anyone else's giant stileeto help and ideas, until then I only hve a couple of questions left: I am planning on getting a 36" springer disk fork from cycles us, and changingthe front wheel to a matching 24", but I was thinking I don't really want the bike to be raised 8-10" more off the ground I would rather haVe it be longer and more chopper like, so how can this be done if at all?

I was wonderig were you got the part that the Jack shaft engine sprocket screws on to from, can you buy basically teethless sprockets cuz I think that I what I'm going to do.

Plus I remeber back last page you said that dual brake lever was that way to o? I was thinkthat it would make it harder on the corners because the. You would only want rear braking?

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Jhammer, beauty of the springer chopper forks, is that its adjustable in height, you can loosen the triple clam and slide the legs to any height you need.

Also does anyone know the size of the head tube on the Stiletto, is it 1 inch or 1 1/8th inch?

Jhammer

May 8, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Hselomein: I didn't know that. Won't it look slightly dopy? I was thinking about changing the angle of the head tube so that the leg would go out, making it more of a strecth chopper, has anyone ever tried this?

Is it just grinding off the head tube and changing the lengths of the pipe?

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
It would look dopey if you dont cut off the excess, you can get a tube cutter from a bike shop. If you get that springer fork set it will effectively change the rake of the fork cause it puts the wheel about 1- 3 inches forward of the fork.

just to put the wheelbase in perspective. My Giant Stiletto Chopper and my 1982 Honda CX500c has the same wheel base, around 6ft. Perfect

SAVAGE

May 6, 2009
CHICAGO,ILLINOIS
Since I was uploading pictures I took one of my latest project for my Stiletto. What you think? Still working on the linkage set-up. Planning on shooting the NOS straight down the middle!
FOR THE LINKAGE you should do a search on fleabay for a "dual throttle twist grip" or this might help you along in your search i hope . http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tomm...6067221QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories , http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Thro...2221399QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories , http://www.pingelonline.com/billet_quick_throttle.htm and i found something else for you that would help you greatly http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-...9458808QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories its a dual pull throttle cable .
brnot

Last edited:

Jhammer

May 8, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Hselomein: I removed the cap on the head tube if my stiletto it measured 1 1/8th inch. Just so you know.

Masterm222: a few post up you talk bout a "flange." which I believe it the round red donut shaped discs that you bolt your engine drive sprocket? How/where do you get them?

Also has anyone actually fully removed there jackshaft? If so how I struggled removing mine and don't want to break stuff.

On an other topic:
Savage: you seem to know about a lot of cool handlebar technology? Wondering if there is a way to have two seperate brakes, a clutch, throttle and gear shifter? Plus a 7 speed left hand gear shift I have yet to find one

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Hselomein: I removed the cap on the head tube if my stiletto it measured 1 1/8th inch. Just so you know.

Masterm222: a few post up you talk bout a "flange." which I believe it the round red donut shaped discs that you bolt your engine drive sprocket? How/where do you get them?

Also has anyone actually fully removed there jackshaft? If so how I struggled removing mine and don't want to break stuff.

On an other topic:
Savage: you seem to know about a lot of cool handlebar technology? Wondering if there is a way to have two seperate brakes, a clutch, throttle and gear shifter? Plus a 7 speed left hand gear shift I have yet to find one
Thanks JHammer,

My first bike had a million handle bar controls, i had and the chopper will have throttle and front brake, and 7 speed twist shifter on the right side and rear brake and clutch on the left side. I keep the brake lever below the clutch lever by about 1 to 2 inches, i mostly use front brake always, so it worked well, just not with gloves on. in an emergency, its very easy to hit all 3 levers at once.