next mornin, got a block away and it died out
no spark
i did have the light workin when i tried startin it
but then that stopped workin too
the spark plug works, its a new ngk cap, automotive sparkplug wire
and a new cdi box
magneto?
do they just go bad like that?
i checked continuity between all wires, and the kill switch is operating correctly
scratg

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
check for spark.
look inside the mag cover and see if any wires are broke and check for water or damage.
try and start it without the light hooked up.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
disconnected the light
still no spark
magneto is gettin shipped from dax
hopefully....
IMO it's not a good idea to hook up light, kill switch, or anything else to the white wire. My magnetos stopped blowing when I adopted this policy.

jimbobrox

Oct 22, 2008
CMCH,NJ
still no spark
new magneto
new cdi-coil thing
mucho aggrevating
kill switch works - not that
im lost
could magneto be upside down/ backwards?
which wire is on top?
idk
connections are all soldered and there is continuity between all connections
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
still no spark
new magneto
new cdi-coil thing
mucho aggrevating
kill switch works - not that
im lost
could magneto be upside down/ backwards?
which wire is on top?
idk
connections are all soldered and there is continuity between all connections
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magneto will not fit backwards but if you do manage to jam it on there will still generate a spark. It's really hard to see a spark in the day so I put my finger on the plug tip and rest my hand on engine to check. Another trick is to hook the plug to the handlebars with bare wire and peddle like the dickens.

How do you know the kill switch works if you have no spark? Best not to hook it up anyway, at least initially.

jimbobrox

Oct 22, 2008
CMCH,NJ
i didnt jam any thing in there
i checked continuity with a multimeterr for the kill switch,
grounded when you press, not when you dont,
i did grab plug and hold on to the engine, didnt feel a thing
no sparkers!??!?!?!?!
this sux

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
jimbobrox
Let's start from scratch. Check each wire connection where you spliced from the engine to the CDI. If you're using the kit supplied connectors, junk them and solder those splices or use good automotive grade crimp terminals. Check the spark plug wire where it attaches to the CDI. It screws into the CDI. If you're using automotive ignition wire then it is probably resistance wire and the center core, (conductor) is a carbon impregnated thread. Make sure you have a good connection from it to the screw in the CDI and the spark plug boot. If it were me I'd use a metallic core ignition wire instead of the resistance wire, but metal conductor ignition wire is getting hard to find these days. Lawn mower and motorcycle shops should carry it but everything from the auto parts stores will be resistance wire. Start there and get back to us with the results.
Tom

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Hard to imagine two sets of CDI/magneto in a row could be bad. Suppose it had to happen to somebody some day. :)

Did you try all 4 combinations of the units?

jimbobrox

Oct 22, 2008
CMCH,NJ
i did not try the old cdi or magneto, it ran great before

all connections are soldered and it is a motorcycle sparkplug wire

no sparkers

thanks for all the help so far guys

and i have not tried a new plug, but i tested this plug on a quad and it worked great

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Check it with the generator cover off. Make sure the magnet is spinning and not touching the generator frame when it does. Make sure the black wire has ground to the engine. Hang the rear of the bike from something so you can spin the engine using the pedals with the plug removed. Hold the base of the plug firmly grounded to the head while your looking for the spark. Hope it works. If the motor gets flooded they act very much like there is no spark.