helium tires

GoldenMotor.com

dkon0450

May 28, 2009
Downers Grove IL
Ok so me and my friends race alot and i always seem to lose by a foot or two....i was wondering if i put helium in my tires would that help. It sounds stupid but helium is lighter then air so it would create less weight

laff

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I would try skipping lunch for a couple of months. I have lost ten pounds in three months doing that. Oh yeah and deserts as well.... I changed my ride to avoid Krispy Kreme by at least two blocks. That would put you down considerably more than the difference between helium and compressed air.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
The weight difference would probably be measured in milligrams. Not worth the effort unless you wish to give new meaning to the term "balloon tires"!

.fly

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Even if you change the weight using helium, the mass has not changed much. If you can reduce mass (either yourself or the bike), it'll accelerate quicker.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
If you are using standard rubber tires the helium will if nothing leak out of them faster than
air. The molecules of helium are smaller than those of the compressed air pumped into them
for normal operation.

You could try it just to say you've done it, but I figure that's about all you'll get, something
to say you've tried.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It's like the old cowboy in the 1800 who said about oil when they first pumped it up from the ground. He said, "I don't see what all the fuss is, that stuff taste like crap on pancakes."

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
this could make a movie!!! hollywood would love this!

"Flying bicycle" a guy hooks up thousands of hellimu ballons to his MB....with some mods like a propeller and small sail for direcction.....bicycle zeppelin!

a mix between the guy in a chair with balloons and the new Toy story movie UP