throttle trouble...again

GoldenMotor.com

rozenaetr

Feb 2, 2009
New Mexico
I just finished installing a clutch actuator I got from Creative Engineering/Manic Mechanic. The clutch seems to work ok as far as disengaging and the start of the engine is actually a lot smoother now.

(Kudos to Jim for his great work!)

The problem is I seem to be having problems with the throttle again. The clutch seems to work fine: when I disengage it, the engine starts to turn over. This works, but twisting the throttle doesn't seem to engage the engine.

I can hear revving sounds inside the engine as if something is happening, but this isn't increasing my throttle at all.

I went through all of the standard steps in starting an engine, I even tried to start going downhill. The engine seems to turn over fine, but no luck with the throttle.

Might something be loose in the carb? Do I need to check the cable connection on the twist throttle handle?

Other than change out the clutch, and rewire the factory kill switch, I've not made any modifications to the setup. The engine was working just fine before this. I had no problems with actually running the bike.

Here's my setup: standard 48cc HT kit on a schwinn point beach. I spliced the black wire of my kill switch with the black wires from the CDI and the engine. I wired the yellow wire of my kill switch to the blue wires of my CDI and engine. I capped the white wire coming out of the engine.

Adjusting the choke seemed to have no effect on this throttle problem. The cable seems to be pulling correctly on the stuff inside in the carb, but for whatever reason, it's not engaging the throttle.

My engine eventually comes to a stall on me.

Any help with the troubleshooting would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

rozenaetr

Feb 2, 2009
New Mexico
The engine starts, but twisting the throttle doesn't seem to increase the speed of the engine. I hear some revving sounds like something is working, but I can't seem to get any throttle at all.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
OK, first step is to remove the carb and air filter off the carb. Leave the throttle cable hooked up. Look down the intake of the carb and twist the throttle on your bars. Is the slide moving up and down when you twist the throttle. Is the little pin also moving up and down with the slide?

rozenaetr

Feb 2, 2009
New Mexico
The slide seems to be moving when I twist the throttle. I am going to check the intake and exhaust to see that they are not clogged and post the results of that.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds to me like the engine isn't firing at all. What he hears is the difference in engine intake sounds with the throttle open and closed and he's pedaling. I would suggest he try checking for ignition (spark) and assure that he's getting fuel before he tears the carb apart. But that's just me.

rozenaetr

Feb 2, 2009
New Mexico
I found that after cleaning the exhaust and carb that they were fairly free of carbon build up. I suspect the carb wasn't tight enough on the intake manifold.

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
I know I'm a noob, but I only suggest it because it was a mistake I made, check and make sure the clutch arm at the engine is both engaging and disengaging all the way.