Clutch?!?!

GoldenMotor.com

skaheadpunk

Apr 18, 2008
First off - this is my first post so hello everybody!

My boyfriend has bought an engine kit from ebay and has been fitting it today. There's been a few minor problems, which we're not too concerned about and can sort out ourselves, but this one really has us stumped.

The clutch lever (ie, the bit sticking out of the top of the engine itself) turns the wrong way. I understand that when the lever on the handlebar is pulled it should turn inwards. Ours will only turn outwards from the normal position (pointing towards the rear of the bike).

This is quite an issue, and we've been tinkering all day and reading articles and posts on here and still have no clue.

The other part of the problem is that even when it is turned out as far as it will go, the wheel cannot turn freely (ie, the engine in still engaged). When you pull it out there is some resistance though, it feels like it should, but it's going the wrong way and doing nothing.

Any ideas? It's all rather frustrating.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I can't think of any reason at all why it wouldn't turn inwards??
The way it's made, it will push the clutch pin whether you push it inwards or out.

You might need to tighten the clutch A LITTLE from the other side of the engine to disengage the engine from the wheel...

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
If you are attempting to do it by hand it is very difficult. One might think that it is jammed but it probably isn't. The spring in the clutch is very strong. I would just try a little harder. I have added a few pics to try and help. You should also go look at Normans post on motor teardown.
http://motorbicycling.com/f30/bicycle-engine-total-tear-down-391.html

Attachments

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
It is easy to see how it works....just take the engine sprocket cover off. I can't imagine this but maybe the cam on the levered shaft is bass ackward....somehow. Regardless it's really apparent how it should work when you take the cover off, because it comes off together.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I thought mine was broken but it was just hard to work by hand and I was a bit afraid to put any muscle to it. It will work itself out. The clutch lever with most kits is also a problem it never did work on my kit. I wound up using a brake lever

skaheadpunk

Apr 18, 2008
Thank you!

Took it out, fiddled with it some more, put it back, read what you'd said, hit it very hard with a metal object and it MOVED!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I think one of my posts shows how to work the lever on the engine easily by using a vice grip pliers to work the lever on the engine. I do this to hook up the clutch cable as its easier for me move the lever in with the pliers as I thread the cable into the lever on the engine.
Good for you on your build I hope you get it running with out a lot of problems but if you don't let your fingers do the crying here we'll help ya. Pictures help sometimes and a big friggin hammer will relieve your frustrations but them you will have a pile of broken aluminum. That ain't coolrotfl
Norman