Cannonball Builds Himself A Girly Bike

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
So posting in the right thread now.

The change of my location has changed the needs of the Ebike battery also. Even though I live on an isolated private island, Im still very close to town. This has allowed the practical use of 5ah battery packs(lipo). This bike uses two 4cell 5ah in series for its 24v system. Its actually over volted at 33.6v off the charger. and I cut usage at around 28v( 3.5/cell) to avoid battery damage. With decent management I can get several trips to town on batteries that can fit in my pockets and cost under $75.

Cool thing is I don't have to scrap my 48v bike just because the Li-ions died. I just series 4 of the 5ah batteries to run the 48v system. The range is a bit better than the 24v system due to the increased voltage and reduced amperage, and way more speed if I want to spend the electrons. I love these batteries! The 48v set up weighs maybe two lbs! As lungcookie stated in his thread these batteries are coming in 10ah sizes now. Too cool!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Has that front drive ever slid out on you and put your rump on the road?

I am leaning that way for my "do-all" truck bike, but paul and Intrepid are trying to talk me out of it.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Has that front drive ever slid out on you and put your rump on the road?

I am leaning that way for my "do-all" truck bike, but paul and Intrepid are trying to talk me out of it.
Never even given a hint of it. Its kind of like the old discussion of FWD. The short answer was "ever try to push a string" Kinda sums it up. The first 1/3 of the ride to town is over a sand bed road topped with road millings, certainly loose stuff. I am running Hookworms which really ride/bite well. My cargo bike which was operated on paved roads(though there is always some sand present on coastal roads) pulled like a freight train and solid as a rock on a front driver running 1.5 tires! The drive goes where you point it. I could see some possibility on a real high powered bike maybe, but just as many with a RWD over powering and washing out the steering.

The cargo bike got much heavier as I switched it to(3) 15ah SLAs I had laying around(40+lbs) really felt the weight but the drive /handling was good even that loaded. http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=554018&postcount=42

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Cool, that's what I'm going to do then.

I'll get one of the 20" x 1.95" Hookworms for the Smart Pie 4 front wheel.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Depends on the batteries and how they are configured.

If the two 6s 10ah packs were used in series I would
Say 25+mph on a fresh charge(stabilize to 20+) and around 30 miles.

Bobalou

Aug 22, 2017
I like the idea of fwd as many roads around me are gravel. I'm toying with the idea of making a tandem of sort using a mountain bike for the suspension and a semi recumbent. Kind of a truck, bug out bike. Power assist mainly.

Bobalou

Aug 22, 2017
Sweet! I'd like to see pictures of that. BTW, my semi-recumbent is a step through! LOL! I'd like to incorporate it into the build but it's got like a 12" tire on the front so unless I can make the mtn bike fork work, I just don't know. Not really wanting to do a hack job, I don't have a welder, yet.

Bobalou

Aug 22, 2017
I searched and found your post on the cargo bike. Awesome! I like the idea of the two frame long tail. I have a few bikes around to salvage from. The wife says I have a bike problem. Idk about that. I drive truck and just got home for my weekend so I will look to see what configuration works best. I like the idea of the suspension from the mtn bike, at least the forks, may use something else for the rear frame. Your bike did give me an idea though. You could put hinges on the rear frame and two wheels that would fold so those wheels fit on either side of the rear tire when not in use, kind of a trailer. On your side racks, also hinge those so they are there already if needed. Just some thoughts.

kiron

Sep 5, 2017
Thanks SB. I like the term "step through" I will have to practice saying that with an aire of disdain when confronted with the term girls bike. Actually as of late the "step through" frames have risen in value. I bought 4 recently for various custom builds and was surprised at the prices. Truly they are not in the stratosphere of the mens vintage frames but not cheap like they used to be.

So here is the basically completed bike. I thought I had a new chain but it was for a multispeed bike so had to order a BMX chain. Also I had forgotten the suspension front end was a long travel version which made the bike sit too high in the front. So it was back to the stock front which of course needed painting. There went my plush ride and disc brake! Now will have to add side pull brakes to the front. Also need to add a kick stand. This bike is LIGHT so hoping a side stand will work.
All the wiring will disappear into the tool bag making a really neat well hidden Ebike. Was an easy build only started late Monday on it. Heres a few pics of the roller. Was trying to show the bag mount structure but it washed out in the pic.
Hi Cannonball, I like your bike. I hope I can one for my daughter. ;)