Silverbell Artifacts/ Metal Detecting

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Re: Silverbell Artifacts

My metal detector I know was cheap, but as you say it should work. While I don't remember if the head phone jack had not worked from the beginning and I was then resorting to just using the speaker built in an the display, I did take it apart to fix something else.

There are two 9v transistor batteries it uses, and I had one of clips to the connector wire pull out. I opened up the case with great difficulty and had found that the two battery wires for the 9 volt batteries do go in parallel to the same plus and minus connections on the board.

OK the batteries I found with a meter showing while the unit is off one is draining to the other to charge it in the amount of 50 micro amps. I should not care and I suppose it is just as it needs more current at 9v to run the back lit display you can turn on real bright or off all together.

Battery connector being fixed I noticed a donut hole for the circuit board with a wire coming through it and no solder. Oops, it got QC stamp passed anyway. So this is why occasionally I am zoning in on what is either ferrous or the other non-ferrous material and then the needle points to either and then in between being all erratic.

It still only starts to lock on to something of metal material when no greater than 2 to 3 inches, but if that erratic is gone from an non-soldered connector that will be great.

As for the speaker jack it is all potted over with plastic glue and so I will re-route the wires to an in-line jack I got cheap from Radio Shack closing their store. The ground of the three wires to the dual channel head phone connection measured open.

I would try to get to the connections and the solder again to see, but the potted over wires are not worth the effort. Also as I was stripping the shielding off the battery's wires to redo the connector clip, I thought I had ripped the inside wires and not just insulation. Nope the savings for a cheap wire used must be the way it goes now. I noticed my cheap battery holders on my rc models having the same $&*. I had to use not just my glasses, but a magnifier to see what I was going to twist to the wire I was using and solder and heat shrink up.

MT

http://www.amazon.com/Prospector-Ca...p/B001K2C16S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I forget if I got it from Amazon or elsewhere, but it says Orbitor Prospector 200DR and I think all I paid was about 30 to 50 for it.

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

"There should be villages all up and down the Santa Cruz from here to Mexico just waiting to be discovered."
Before I left Arizona, researchers unexpectedly found a maze, or labyrinth near the Casa Grande national monument. According to Pima legends, the "Elder Brother's" maze was located in the Greasy Mountains (South Mountains in Phoenix), so finding one in Casa Grande was a big surprise.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

"There should be villages all up and down the Santa Cruz from here to Mexico just waiting to be discovered."
Before I left Arizona, researchers unexpectedly found a maze, or labyrinth near the Casa Grande national monument. According to Pima legends, the "Elder Brother's" maze was located in the Greasy Mountains (South Mountains in Phoenix), so finding one in Casa Grande was a big surprise.
I've been collecting Jusuit maps that I can find. They mapped a lot of villages around here. But I find their maps very difficult to pin point where they say a village is. And the places I have found our just off limits.

Their is one place near Arivaca I plan to go to. I also read a story where supposedly their is buried silver out in that way.

When I get done with my challenge and get my motor back mounted on my bike I plan to ride out to Arivaca and do a looksy.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

I hope you have better luck than the legions that have searched for the Lost Dutchman mine in the Superstition Mountains. I'm convinced that the earthquake in the 1880s permanently buried the entrance.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I hope you have better luck than the legions that have searched for the Lost Dutchman mine in the Superstition Mountains. I'm convinced that the earthquake in the 1880s permanently buried the entrance.
Don't get me started on Mr. Waltz! I started back when I was a young teenager searching with my cousin.

I was just out there a few months ago before it got too hot. I look, but I don't take it seriously anymore. I use it more as a camping trip and enjoying the great outdoors. But...I still look.

I think if it was going to be found it would have been found already. Or its right in plain sight like a stone cabin built right on top of it.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

So I fixed my metal detector and got used to searching. I found this, a few links of rusted chain!

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Two weeks ago took the dog for a walk at my local park and did a little detecting at the playground. Almost stabbed myself with a needle!

Glad I found it before some kid, but not sure if I am going to do playgrounds anymore that is just to scary.

I keep wanting to go out to Arivaca, but man this time of year sucks it is so hot.

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.

Im no metal detector expert either.
About 3 years ago, I did a lot (weeks) of research into different detectors.
Then I purchased a Garrett Ace 250 for about $199 as I recall.
I played around in my large yard and found a few pieces of junk.
Then I went to a few local parks!
It didn't take long to recoup my investment!
Lots of coins and 1 gold ring, and the detector was paid off!
One thing that I learned is to treat park property with respect, so re-fill your holes.
Never admit that you've found anything of value.
And carry a trash bag with you, and if the park ranger (police) give you a hard time, show them the trash that you have collected!