any one wear helmets?

GoldenMotor.com

cumminsbayou

Feb 25, 2013
fairhope alabama
Does any one where a helmet on there bike? and if so do you where a real helmet or do you where one that goes on a bike? I am asking because my dad wants me to get one for my bike. I don't have a problem with a full face one but the bike helmets look so stupid and don't look to have a hole lot of protection. The thing is he wants me to buy one for my self i told him i'd sell the bike before i bought one for my self. So is it worth it for me to buy one?

Mar 31, 2013
RI
Re: any one where helmets?

Does any one where a helmet on there bike? and if so do you where a real helmet or do you where one that goes on a bike? I am asking because my dad wants me to get one for my bike. I don't have a problem with a full face one but the bike helmets look so stupid and don't look to have a hole lot of protection. The thing is he wants me to buy one for my self i told him i'd sell the bike before i bought one for my self. So is it worth it for me to buy one?

...imagine asking yourself that question as you are in mid-air sailing over your handlebars.

you only get to die once so you owe it to yourself to do everything within your power to delay that death for as long as possible, ...and our bodies are pretty damned fragile, we don't bounce so good at 30+ miles per hour.

...and i also have a son who i'd not like to see damaged so i'm with your dad, get a helmet, and NOT a bicycle helmet as they aren't rated for the speeds these bikes go, ...here is just one example.

VCAN V531 Cruiser Half Helmet (Solid Gloss Black, Large)

peace, bozo

btw, knowledge is power and every day you live that you don't learn something is a wasted day so don't take offense when i say this but the word you were looking for is 'wear', that's what we do with clothing and articles of safety gear like helmets and gloves and such, we 'wear' them, ...the word you used, 'where', sounds exactly the same but means an entirely different thing, 'where is my helmet?' is an example where this word is used correctly.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

if i didn't have a helmet on, i might be typing this from beyond the grave.

i went over the bars at 40mph, and have 3 broken ribs, level 2 AC seperation in my shoulder, fractured wrist, 2 fingers with chip fractures, and 2 months worth of healing ahead of me.

i've been building, riding, and racing these bikes for 4 years now and thought i knew everything.

one loose bolt on my drum brake changed all that.

when i first started riding, i thought helmets were lame, messed up my hair, and made me look goofy.

i got ticketed by a cop and got a real DOT motorcycle helmet, mostly so i wouldn't get hassled anymore, not because i thought i'd ever go down.

i got used to it, though, and built faster and faster bikes.

really glad i had it on when i crashed, even though i didn't land on my head.

my hospital bills and follow up care is around 40 grand so far, and with my insurance i'll probably be paying about 5k of it.

all those body parts are gonna heal, and i'm already building another bike, and planning a few more.

i wouldn't be able to do that if i was in a coma, or a drooling vegetable, or dead.

so, yeah. i "where" a helmet...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

My helmet is like my American Express card.
And it is a DOT approved motorcycle type.

Tom

Last edited:

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada

but the bike helmets look so stupid
would u rather look stupid or like a drooling turd?
personally, pedalbike... i dont wear a helmet.
but on these motorized monsters, YES. i wear a bicycle helmet. but for the most part, i dont really go over the posted limits for a motor assist vehicle in my area(30KPH).
if i was to take it off road, or WOT somewhere.. i would definatly think about an MC helmet.
It doesn't take much brains to save your brains!!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My motorbike isn't very fast so I wear a bicycle helmet. if my bike cruised at 40 mph or better, I would wear my motorcycle helmet. Cars will turn in front of you and sometimes you have no way of avoiding them.

Braddo

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
I have a carbon fibre style german helmet.. A) to keep the police away B) to keep the contents of my cranium from leaking on to the pavement.

Wear a helmet dude!!! there is enough humpty dumpty photos on the internet to make you WANT to waer one.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just went for a late evening ride. My nose is numb, my fingers too. The only warm parts are my ears because they were tucked inside my helmet. A good helmet can protect you from things other than a crash.

Tom

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
I ALWAYS use a dot approved helmet. After working in a trauma center for a while, you come to realize QUICKLY how little it takes to make you into nothing more than a carcass. Plus cops seem to care much less when you're wearing them.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Just went for a late evening ride. My nose is numb, my fingers too. The only warm parts are my ears because they were tucked inside my helmet. A good helmet can protect you from things other than a crash.

Tom
I was out yesterday during the day, with cold fingers and cold runny nose, but thanks to my 'new to me' helmet, my ears were good too.

I'd almost think that spring was cancelled.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I used to wear a bike helmet until I found a DOT motorcycle helmet at a motorcycle show and upgraded to that. I also wear a high-vis safety vest whenever I'm going anywhere (test rides in the back lane don't count).

The helmet will also protect you from things like overhanging loads and wide truck mirrors 'tapping' you on the back of the head. Road debris being kicked up is another good reason to be protected. Three weeks ago I was driving home from work and someone's tire kicked up something with enough force to smash the rear left window out of my car. If I'd been riding, that unknown chunk of stuff could have been flying at me instead.

Slick Rock

Apr 13, 2013
Northern Utah
Utah doesn't demand helmet's. It is up to the individual. Each year the shallow end of the gene pool depletes. I like having the option, (got enough govmint in my business as it is) However, given the option to wear or splat my noggin, I chose to wear one.

LAguyyy

Super Skilled Master Newb
Feb 25, 2013
Honolulu, hi
I swear by namebrand skate/bmx stunt helmets that can take a good hit. Kinda the middleground between a tiny bike helmet and a half shell motorcycle helmet. If you are young enough slap some stickers on it and you get some great imaginary speed!

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Utah doesn't demand helmet's. It is up to the individual. Each year the shallow end of the gene pool depletes. I like having the option, (got enough govmint in my business as it is) However, given the option to wear or splat my noggin, I chose to wear one.
Just thought of something here.
Canada has a national health care system, the USA does not.
Canada has mandatory helmet laws, USA does not.

Think about that one for a moment....