gasket for fuel petcock

GoldenMotor.com

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I just got a new fuel petcock for my half gallon chinese gas tank. It didn't come with a gasket and the old one fell apart. I need one. I looked for one on thatsdax, but couldn't find one there. I'd think that someone would sell them in bags of 10 or so. Someone please direct me to someplace where I can find a gasket.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I'd just go to any motorcycle shop, I'd say most if not all bikes use them.
Other than that I'd get some of that gas proof putty that is sold for leaky gas tanks. It's about five bucks.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Alternately, you can buy some Seal-All at wmart or an automotive store and seal the threads. Just goop some on the threads, screw it in most of the way until it lines up and leave it for a few hours.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I used a high pressure pneumatic air hose, sliced thinly about 2 - 3mm. It seems to work perfectly. I could'nt find the O-rings, nor do the motorcycle parts shop have the gasket. So I improvise... :)

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I am looking into seal-all as Bikeguy Joe said. It seems as though it may work. I'm lucky because I have many hardware stores around here and I'm sure they would have it. I just need to make sure that "resistant" is close to "proof" as far as protection against gasoline and oil goes.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Ok, I just got seal-all from Pep-Boys and it looks promising. Even though on the package it says "gas and oil resistant", I think it should work because it shows an image of a gas can and a bicycle (nice coincidence, eh?).
I also bought a tube of Permatex Gas and Radiator Repair, which is similar to JB Weld, but for gas tanks, oils, etc. I'll try the Seal-All tomorrow.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Put it on the threads, let it dry for a few seconds then screw the petcock in until it's as far as it will go and still pointing the right direction. Let it dry for an hour or so. I have done a couple with no gasket this way- no leaks.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Have Had High Pressure Hydralic Leaks On Large Construction Crane With 150 Foot Boom. Tightened Fitting With 24 Inch Cresent Wrenchs. Still Leaked. Teflon Tape, Stopped Leak. That Was 1975, I Still Amazed !!

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Ok I put the Seal-all on to the threads after doing a rough cleaning with a paper towel (I cleaned the threads and gasket). The gasket was compressed and it wasn't going to come off easy. I just left it on and I think it makes the lever face outwards anyway. After screwing it in I put some extra seal-all around the gasket exterior. Since it's 35degrees outside I think it will take more than a few hours before it cures and I can add fuel to the tank. I'll just wait till tomorrow.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I went into the garage and put fuel into the tank after a day of curing. I went for a short ride and came back to the garage. I felt around the seal with my finger; no shiny spot. I came back to the garage three hours later; still no shiny spot. I guess SEAL-All is good for preventing gasoline leaks, and it's cheap too. Bikeguy Joe really is an invaluable resource to this forum for suggesting things and helping others. I do learn something new every day.