Tecumseh OH195XA?

GoldenMotor.com

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
I was at my locat kart shop this morning picking up a few things like carb, ain't filter etc. when I noticed roughly 25 engines on a pallet (all new). I asked the owner about them and he said $25 if I want one because he liked my motorized bike lol. I wasn't sure about them since I've never messed with a Tecumseh but they were all new and only missing carb, exhaust, fuel tank (all easily fabbed or purchased later) so I bought one.

The engine is a Tecumseh oh195xa, 195cc 5.5hp. It's an almost vertical engine with a slight cant maybe 25* or so, might look neat on a friction drive without the tins on it.

Anyone ever messed with one of these engines? Any good? Any hard parts for them, billet flywheel, rod, springs?

I'm thinking I may use it for a future bike project (like a BTR) but for $25 out the door I couldn't pass it up.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Tecumseh engines are really excellent quality. I had a few mini bikes with them.
They ceased production in 2008 though. Parts are still available on the internet.
My best advice is to get a solid state ignition module for it to replace the points and condenser if it is old enough to still have all that.

For $25 you got a killer deal!

Edit: I just looked the engine up and it comes with solid state ignition.
There also is a charging stator for a battery, lights, electric start, ect. as well...if you can find one.
Here is a little peek:http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=tecumseh&mn=OH195XA-71276J&dn=EOHH506OHH4565A71276J-EN

Last edited:

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
Good to hear they're good quality. I'm definitely keeping it around for my next build. I think the wife wants my current felt build so she will get it and ill make a custom formed btr for the Tecumseh. I didn't know u could get a charging system for it. Hmmm

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Does it have a tapered shaft?
http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/pages/products/tecumseh_horizontal_shaft1904.html

Here's a long block on Ebay for approximately with shipping for $55.00 with tapered shafts:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...30861303621&item=330861303621&vectorid=229466

There are short blocks for even cheaper on Ebay, but not for $25.00

Looks like 2 models of this engine - a generator and snow blower version. I think both shafts are going to have to be turned for a clutch to work.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
Yes the end of the shaft is tapered for about 1" and I think I remember measuring it at .775" so I'll turn it down to .75" for a 3/4" clutch and run it like that. It's no different than the Harbor freight engines being too big for a 5/8" clutch and needing modded.

I'm thinking a pz26 carb, 1" to 1-1/4" exhaust, ported head. I don't know if anyone makes a modded cam for these or billet rods.

It may be smarter to just pickup a hf212 since they have all sorts of parts for them.