The Evil Onyx Build Thread

GoldenMotor.com

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
The Evil Onyx - Still Alive

Just wanted send you a teaser to let you know I'm still very much alive. Sprocket went on after sacrificing a few bolts and trimming the hub bearing cover, and additionally bent the coaster brake for a nice fit. Handlebars donated from a rusty bike, flipped and gooseneck flipped for very comfortable riding position. More to come soon, just waiting on that paycheck :p

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
The Evil Onyx - 80 percent

Here's a picture of the finger-tight mock-up I had done. So I lost my patience and drilled into the frame. It's regrettable, but my girlfriend doesn't share the same passion that I do to tolerate the bike parts laying all over anymore. So it had to be done... (-_-)

I would say the bike is about 80 percent complete at this point. There is very little clearance anywhere on this bike as the parts barely provide enough clearance for the pedals, chain and tire which makes me very nervous.

Additionally I need a clutch lever as the one they sent me was broke. Longer fuel line, or a nice inline filter (glass?). Wire loom to tidy up the wires. Need to open up the clutch lever thingy-ma-bob and see why it's sticking. Upgrade to grade A bolts for mounts. Take it for a ride down the dang road. Then I can put some nice pink tassels on it! Almost there - so close!!!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It's looking good!
Weld in a sleeve through the frame tube where you drilled the frame. You can keep your "bolt through the frame" mount and have a strong frame too.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I made a front mount out of steel plate and a muffler clamp. Sorry I can't post a pic yet,but my camera is out of state for a while! I made tank mounts by welding the tank studs right to a pair of 2" muffler clamps. Looks great and is nice and solid! I'm going to build one for myself as soon as my current Cranbrook sells! I love how this bike rides!

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Well it's been real fun - the bike is finally finished. I pedaled it to the store, put 1.75 in and drove it back home. I was already offered $650 for the bike when I went to the grocery store, but I was foolishly still in love and couldn't let her go. Another time perhaps. I will be focusing on some of the details now, but it's nice to hit a milestone and be able to say it's a finished bicycle. Thanks for the support and help guys! Looking forward to doing some of the fun details!

Last edited:

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
hey chill phil,

Can you give me a parts link on your bike? I'm looking to find out which grips you ended up using (including that sweet bent 90 IDK what that does yet). I've read through this post and I cant find out which you use. Need one inchers for an onyx.

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
hey chill phil,

Can you give me a parts link on your bike? I'm looking to find out which grips you ended up using (including that sweet bent 90 IDK what that does yet). I've read through this post and I cant find out which you use. Need one inchers for an onyx.
The goosneck came with the bicycle (the 90 degree bend thingy you're refering to), I had used the handlebars from another bicycle to use the stock "grips" that came with the engine kit. Hope this helps! :)

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
So the back sprocket keeps sliding (because no configuration allows all the bolts to go in), which in-turn doesn't allow the sprocket to stay true on the wheel, thus snapping the chain as it loosens and tightens upon the sprocket. So it sucks. Sportsman makes an adapter kit that's much more solid, however, I'm not sure if it will work and the price is kinda steep. What are your thoughts? Are there any alternatives??

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I ordered this from pirate cycles.

It said shipping in 24 hours over 24 hours ago in an email. it might be a wait if you want one. It better be anodized black like in the picture after all that wait. I have an engine in the mail, the gt-5 skyhawk kit from gasbikes, well it says it shipped anyway, but idk.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
hey chill phil, Can you give me some input on

1)the gas tank mounting you used?
2)The fuel filter you used?

I've already figured out most of the rest like the kryptonite lock, and the skyhawk kit from gasbikes. Her'es what mine looks like atm

tiler

Mar 12, 2013
mi
Maybe this has been covered but I'm not sure....how did you get the sprocket to fit the hub? I understand the bolts not aligning w the spokes...I mean, did you have to widen the center hole on the sprocket? Many thanks