biker build offs

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
It seems like this could get really complicated if we let it. Perhaps there's room for two types of build competitions. New where it's a build specifically for the contest, and existing bikes where those of us that tweak the same bike multiple times can compete.

Another thought is to do away with categories. I know my bike won't show well against the best that I have seen posted here but I don't really care. The fun would be in showing the bike and in recognizing the very best on the forum. Some people have deeper pockets, some do this for a living or might enter client financed bikes. That's OK with me too. The higher the bar is set the better. I would imagine that selling a prize winning bike or being a builder that has been recognized would have value. My concern in having too many classes is that the goal becomes recognizing everyone's efforts in order to be nice or inclusive. The prize should be in winning and the award would be a bonus. Participating has its own rewards.
Along that idea it could be Kit builds and DYI builds as the only categories to make it simple. Yes even the Kit builds have a DYI factor in them, but at the heart is the kit.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'm really interested.

I'm just about to start a build and this will give motivation to work on my bike and make it perfect.... I tend to be lazy when it comes to small details to make it look "cleaner", I just wanna ride it when it's about done .wee.

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
I think it's better to restrict to new builds and people have to post updates as they go along. this way you get to see how long it takes them and how they handle issues along the way. I think those factors need to be considered when judging the build.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I think it's better to restrict to new builds and people have to post updates as they go along. this way you get to see how long it takes them and how they handle issues along the way. I think those factors need to be considered when judging the build.
I think that would make it biased towards those such as professional/experienced builders who have more resources at their disposal. I really dont think thats fair to judge how issues along the way are handled. I think all that matters is the finished product.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's the thread from the first 'Biker Build Off'... http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=11941

There was another thread before this where another member named 'Britton Bees' was talking major trash about me & challenged me to this build off... He never even finished his bike!, & then deleted all of his posts & then dropped off this forum because of his shame. laff

Also... Entering a previously built bike is called a 'contest'; building a bike during a contest is called a 'build off'. ;)

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Not for me.I'm currently in a "build off "on the other site and it has been...well kinda a mess.And I think there has been like 14 votes total between 6 bikes.I know not many people go to the other site, as this one. But once something gets a little screwed up,deadlines changed and delays start to happen people loose interest.But If it is done right it can be alot of fun.I think there should be a build off and you start your build when the contest starts.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I think we should look at the already successful Ratrodbikes.con build off as that has remained extremely popular.

Personally i don't think there should be any classes, the more classes equal less entrants in each category. Ratrodbikes don't have categories, I say just bring what you built, and I also believe pre built bikes shouldn't be allowed. You might enter a bike that took 5 years to build and enter it against bikes that had the 3 month build off limit. Not fair.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I think that (new builds only) would make it biased towards those such as professional/experienced builders who have more resources at their disposal. I really dont think thats fair to judge how issues along the way are handled. I think all that matters is the finished product.
I'm not sure it would make a difference as those "who have more resources at their disposal" would have always had such, it's very likely that there will always be somewhat of a "bias" towards their "finished product" due to those resources, if anything this would be more pronounced were it not a build off as you can't "judge how issues along the way are handled" - to see if they simply bought their way out of a problem, or used their creative ingenuity to create something - or even both.

With a simple show/contest it's only about "the finished product" as folks just enter their machines and the machines are judged... while that's fine for what it is, it very often is just a "product" as there's the possibility they simply purchased the "win" through picking out the nicest, most expensive items, even perhaps the machine in it's entirety - maybe even not having done anything at all save waxing it & entering it in a contest... much like just about every car & motorcycle show I've ever attended lol

I think a "build off" is all about "how issues along the way are handled" and for that reason I greatly prefer them, provided ofc a build log w/pics is made & shared so it's possible to see what they've actually done and "judge" accordingly - did they create their way, or buy their way... in this fashion it's very possible for someone lacking "resources" to still compete.

Depending more on creativity than budget alone is worth points in my book w/o a doubt.

... Entering a previously built bike is called a 'contest'; building a bike during a contest is called a 'build off'. ;)
Agreed - there is however no reason to not have a "contest" if that's desired, it's simply a different sort of competition & as the title is 'biker build offs' I would think it's for discussing a 'build off'... another thread could be made for a different comp, if enough people are interested *shrug*

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think the chances of things getting complicated and there being hard feelings are pretty good. So for me I'll stay out of it. That said, one of the best experiences I have had in the time I've been fooling with motored bikes is my participation in a build-off here some years ago.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13144

The Rustoration Buildoff was a remarkable experience for me due to the dynamics of those involved... BarelyAWake and Bairdco, who knew a whole lot more about building bikes that this old guy. They were my mentors and the three of us were cheer leaders and advisers for each other. In that sense it wasn't a build-off as a kind of competition. If there was competing it was with ourselves, trying to realize the bikes we had originally envisioned. I learned so much and in the end there was no voting. We just decided that we all won and it is true. We all won as we realized our visions.

So the Rustoration Buildoff spoiled me, I guess. The best thing about the buildoff was the two great friends I made. My 39 Elgin is long gone, but the friendships I made endure. What could be better than that?

Giving some long thought to the purpose of a build-off would be a good thing. What would the hoped for result be?
SB

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I think the chances of things getting complicated and there being hard feelings are pretty good. So for me I'll stay out of it. That said, one of the best experiences I have had in the time I've been fooling with motored bikes is my participation in a build-off here some years ago.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13144

The Rustoration Buildoff was a remarkable experience for me due to the dynamics of those involved... BarelyAWake and Bairdco, who knew a whole lot more about building bikes that this old guy. They were my mentors and the three of us were cheer leaders and advisers for each other. In that sense it wasn't a build-off as a kind of competition. If there was competing it was with ourselves, trying to realize the bikes we had originally envisioned. I learned so much and in the end there was no voting. We just decided that we all won and it is true. We all won as we realized our visions.

So the Rustoration Buildoff spoiled me, I guess. The best thing about the buildoff was the two great friends I made. My 39 Elgin is long gone, but the friendships I made endure. What could be better than that?

Giving some long thought to the purpose of a build-off would be a good thing. What would the hoped for result be?
SB
I wasn't here to witness any of the Rustoration Buildoff as it was taking place, but I agree with you 100% on this. Should a buildoff be a competition, or a chance for builders to challenge themselves?

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
I wasn't here to witness any of the Rustoration Buildoff as it was taking place, but I agree with you 100% on this. Should a buildoff be a competition, or a chance for builders to challenge themselves?
"IMO" its the challenge to the builder his/her self...isnt that the spirit of building in the first place? to take on challenges as they arise and to figure and bust knuckles the whole way? triple b u always have a way of putting things that i understand and agree with...im a simple man and this has become my newest passion...

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I think forums are constant build-offs, it's just un-announced. Challenging builds are happening on a daily basis and posted here. If a trophy is what you're looking for, why not have a bike of the month, and a bike of the year section? If it gets nasty, shut it down.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think forums are constant build-offs, it's just un-announced. Challenging builds are happening on a daily basis and posted here. If a trophy is what you're looking for, why not have a bike of the month, and a bike of the year section? If it gets nasty, shut it down.

That's not a bad idea.
SB

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I think most of us are simply in competition with ourselves in that we are always out to build one better,faster cooler then the last. Given the time and resources I would copy a great number of the builds found on this site. There are many builds here worth the flattery.