410/415 chain question(s)

GoldenMotor.com

roka

Oct 9, 2012
Mesa, AZ
I'm sure it's been asked before but I'll ask with the delightful innocence of a noobie ;)

The kit I ordered came with a 410 chain. From what I've been reading the 410 chain won't last very long? Should I be upgrading to a 415 chain? And if I get a 415 chain do I need a master link? I have a chain break tool I use on my non-motorized bikes. Can I use that on the regular links instead of a master link?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
410 and 415 have the same tensile strength. Sometimes the kit chains do break, and sometimes they dont. Either way, they do need replaced every so often. I had issues with my chain rubbing my tire, so I can't use a 415 chain anyway, because it will rub my tire. I just replaced my chain not that long ago. I ordered from Amazon, and I got 114 links of kmc Z410H-NP chain for around $12 shipped. kmc is a highly respected brand of bmx chain, very high quality. I dont know what the z stands for, but the H is for heavy duty, and the NP is for nickel plated. supposed to help protect against corrosion better. But this heavy duty chain has side plates that are 20% thicker than standard 410 chain. I did have some trouble getting it on my engine sprocket, possibly because of the thicker side plates. I got it on as far as I could and GENTLY wiggled it back and forth with pliers until it moved freely on its own. This is just my experience, but I like the kmc chain very much.

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida
410 has 1/8'' between the inner plates. 415 has 3/16'' between the inner plates. so you would need a master link also.but if you get a good 410 chain you shouldnt have any problems. i wouldnt bother changing to 415. kmc drop buster is a really good 410 chain it wont stretch or break.
heres a good chain reference site with specs
http://www.azusaeng.com/chain/mcyclchn.html

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There's nothing wrong with using the 410 chain... I use a 410H on my race bike.
I like them because they give a little extra frame/chain/tire clearance. ;)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Can we use 40 chain????
I use #40 roller chain on all my builds. It requires a bit of clearancing under the side cover to run freely, but works great once you fit it. I have had no chain problems at all since I started doing this mod. I get a box for about 20-25$ which will do two bikes. I also stopped using masterlinks due to popping the clip when I roll the bike backwards, I now just tack weld the links. (but it does make it hard to remove the chain, needs a grinder now)

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
why would you have to weld them cant you just mushroom the end ? I mean thats what I did when I broke the chain I did it on the side of the road with a file on my leatherman a rock and my little ball peen I keep in my tool bag "and safety goggles of course kids!! " Granted it took a while but i got it done. Prolly could have done so much faster had I my Dremel & block of steel I use for smashing metal

:-||

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
I use #40 roller chain on all my builds. It requires a bit of clearancing under the side cover to run freely, but works great once you fit it. I have had no chain problems at all since I started doing this mod. I get a box for about 20-25$ which will do two bikes. I also stopped using masterlinks due to popping the clip when I roll the bike backwards, I now just tack weld the links. (but it does make it hard to remove the chain, needs a grinder now)
Thats an awesome idea...thanks...and for all the people who won't thank you, I will...thanks you maniac...

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Oh,I will thank him. As soon as he tells us when his chain problems stopped. After getting the thicker chain,or after welding the chain links. My kit chain jumped off the tranny sprocket and wrapped completey under the rear sprocket. That would be my fault but the point is the chain didn't break. Warped it worse than I am but no breakage. I personally have been riding bmx for 20+ years and have not ever broken a chain. Broke a few pedal arms when I was younger and I ride now with a 52 tooth chainring/16 tooth freewheel,but no broke chains. But......I only uses the 410H nickel plated kmc chain on my own bikes. And I'm not big on maintenance. I built up my latest bmx 3 1/2 years ago and other than a 5 inch nail in the rear wheel I've had no problems. I don't check bolts,I just wipe down the chrome. Which is the whole bicycle.