Felt 99cc build

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah it's always something........when I went to 24" wheels, the hub was such that I had to use a deep dished 42t moped sprocket. With the jackshaft, the chain alignment is perfect using the 42t.

When running the 26" wheelset originally, the 48t AGK sprocket worked perfect with the Grubee HD rear hub.

Normanito

Jul 28, 2012
Liberty Hill
Yeah it's always something........when I went to 24" wheels, the hub was such that I had to use a deep dished 42t moped sprocket. With the jackshaft, the chain alignment is perfect using the 42t.

When running the 26" wheelset originally, the 48t AGK sprocket worked perfect with the Grubee HD rear hub.

What is the width of that Grubee hub? The mountain bike rear hub I am using is too wide (need to spread the frame) and sets the sprocket to far out board (need to dimple the frame to clear the sprocket and chain. At this point I'm getting into messing with the frame more than I care too...and I hate to modify the frame around the hub if I have other options. I'd far prefer to have a hub that fits into my application and not dick around with the frame.

Who sells the series 2 hub? I see it has six bolt holes in lieu of 5. I am assuming the six holes are the same hole pattern as the AGK sprocket.

Normanito

Jul 28, 2012
Liberty Hill
Ordered a new hub (Origin 8 flip flop) that can be spaced to 126mm (my frame) and a spin on disc adapter to run the drive cog on the fixed side. We will see how it holds up after it is all togehter. Till then I'll start detailing the motor and post pics as I get along with it.

Normanito

Jul 28, 2012
Liberty Hill
Update:

I did not like the heavy, bulky, ill fitting plate mount I ordered. It'd be fine on a steel frame with more room and welded on, but the whole assembly was just too much for me. I fabricated my own mount system and used pillow bearing brackets to secure it all to the frame. The rear hub was a lot of trail and error. I ended up using a flip flop hub with the drive sprocket attached to a spin on adapter. I set screwed the adapter to the hub and loc-tite'd the whole enchilada together. My fingers are crossed. My lack of bicycle knowledge has slowed my progress but it's coming together. The tank is sealed and ready to go. It's mostly final assembly with a small amount of fab work left till it hits the road.

Sorry for the not so detailed pictures but you get the idea.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
It all looks really good. I am using that same idea for the sprocket on a flip flop hub. Just ordered the adapter today. Hope the set screw idea works. I plan to run a disk spaced out from the sprocket too. Should be interesting.

Normanito

Jul 28, 2012
Liberty Hill
what are the parts you used to make the mounts? and where did you get them thats a nice setup i bought a 99 and would like to do similar
I used flat steel stock, steel tube, and threaded rods. Cut, bent and ground to fit for the mounts.

There are three set screws total. That was the first one i did in the picture and they are all punched deep. I also have the lock ring installed.

The the prefab brackets are pillow bearing brackets from tractor supply. Countryline pillow block stamping the be specific. I chose the size to fit the frame.

Last edited:

Normanito

Jul 28, 2012
Liberty Hill
It all looks really good. I am using that same idea for the sprocket on a flip flop hub. Just ordered the adapter today. Hope the set screw idea works. I plan to run a disk spaced out from the sprocket too. Should be interesting.
If it shows signs of failing (or blows apart) I will put in a key way. Our jackshafts hold up with set screws and keyways. On my hub I have the screws punched through and threaded into the hub.

...and on another note I've sourced some chain jumping issues to the rear sprocket not being true, so check yours if you've got one.

UPDATE: It blew up with amazing style. Next.....

Last edited:

Normanito

Jul 28, 2012
Liberty Hill
The chain is good so far. I've got my eye on fabricating a guide from an old single speed conversion tensioner...but for now it's good to go (especially as it sits, with a broken bs hub adapter). The rear sprocket has some serious run out...I need to heat it, tweak it and get it to lay flat. I finally laid it on a machinist table...I was not crazy.

Last edited: