warped sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

joeselect

Aug 10, 2010
illinois
hi just wondering how to get 10 tooth drive sprocket off due to being warped or if in need a new gear box thanks

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
A picture would help, other then that, most will come off (depending how it's put on) my removing the retaining nut, and pull off with the help of a gear puller.
that works on a 2stroke HT!!!!

on a 4stroke there are setscrews on most that hold it to the shaft and a keyway or woodruf key to keep it from spinning on the shaft. Do NOT beat on the end of the shaft or you will never get it off!!

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
check the bigger sprocket at the other end
if using the stock chain that came with your kit....replace it as the chains that come with kits made in china are junk

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
small things first before replacing it i had mine popping off non stop the problem was my idler pulley .

go through it a few times don't be afraid to walk away from it if you get mad at it and id get the .41 chain its almost twice as wide as the stock chain and allows for a lot more error on the sprockets.

a pic would help us help you alot

which transmisson do you have know ?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The following is what I have learned by reading the forums for the last few years, I have never owned a Hoot nor do I want to:
Hoot makes 2 different boxes. A gear drive that looks like what andrewflores17 described and a chain drive that looks like the one in the photo you shared with us.
Both are notoriously unreliable and poorly made. If Hoot used a better quality aluminum alloy and better engineered reinforcing in the castings they might actually be reliable.
DAX sells one that looks like a Hoot but instead of having a single row chain inside it. it has a double row chain. I have read in this forum that the one DAX sells is better quality.
I do not know if it is a a Hoot box (modified?) or not though.