Sprocket Centering With Wire Thread?

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I have just completed three searches, and while there was lots of good reading, I did not find what I was looking for.

Somewhere in all these threads there's one about a sprocket / hub concentricity system that uses wire it accomplish the centering. Does anyone know where that might be?

I'm having my first problem with centering a sprocket because of a larger middle hole in the sprocket. I need to borrow some of you guy's wisdom for a while.

Thanks,
Fred

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I have just completed three searches, and while there was lots of good reading, I did not find what I was looking for.

Somewhere in all these threads there's one about a sprocket / hub concentricity system that uses wire it accomplish the centering. Does anyone know where that might be?

I'm having my first problem with centering a sprocket because of a larger middle hole in the sprocket. I need to borrow some of you guy's wisdom for a while.

Thanks,
Fred
I find it best to install the sprocket (not tight, just enough that you can move it around), and set it on my lap using the string method. A cruiser I do differently.
http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Sprockets/

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wire, welding rod, nails, anything that will act as a shim, located at three positions around the inside diameter of the sprocket hole should give you what you want.

Eyeballing it can get you close but it will also tell you about what diameter your 'shims' need to be. In other words, get the sprocket as close to concentric to the hub as your eyes will let you then measure the gap between hub and sprocket. Use a wire diameter that will fill that gap and that should put you pretty darn close to centered.
Keep checking as you tighten the sprocket bolts that your three shims are in place and don't forget to remove them when the bolts are tight.
I hope this recaps what you remember reading. Maybe others will be able to explain this method better. If I had a picture it would be so much easier. :)
Tom