chains chains everywhere a chain

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay

I thought I had this bmx chain replacement for our 415 chain figured out. It is 1/2 x1/8. Well that's how I remember it. and of course a KMC model number...

Today I was at Wallymart and of course I took a look at bike parts. Actually I was looking for a new chain breaker. I had the man stranded without one in mind. And low and behold wally has a BELL 1/2 by 1/8 chain. Now will that chain fit our motors I wonder. I know my cruiser and mountain bike chains won't but will that Bell. It is bigger. If so I might just run back and pick up one it was only 6 bucks and a spare it not a bad thing to have laying about. says it is for 1=3 speed bikes.

If I move the motor from the sissy to the new big cruiser I probably will need a chain. I'm not sure how heavy it is but I'm also not sure how much chain we need either. I know more is better except in wives (take that anyway you want) but still the convenience of picking it up at wally's place would be great.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
BMX chain is SUPPOSED to fit as a replacement for 415 or #42 chain.
I'd go for it deacon, just save the reciept if you need to return it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I saw that size the 3/16 bothers me a little but I think I will pick up one next weekend if not before and just see how it fits on the sprocket. Like you said I can always return it.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Standard BMX chain is not 415. 415 is actually kinda hard to find locally, believe me I've hit every bike shop, motorcycle shop, farm supply shop, machine shop, etc within a 50 mile radius of me with no luck. I have been told that if you have a LBS that handles high end BMX you might fine it there because the guys who do the big air tricks use it otherwise its obsolete. There are places on line to get 415, I've gotten a few from Mike Simpson. I don't like the cheap chains that most kits come with, I've broken two of those so far, now when building a bike I put a 415 on from the get go. A good single speed chain will work but will look smaller than the cheapy chineese chain but is stronger. Another cheap sorce for single speed chain is your local garage door fix-it man, the last chain I got from him was a 10' length of KMC for free(^)...Kelly

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Kelly-

Are you saying that single speed chain as in "coaster brake bike chain" will work for the power side?

I've got to start doing more empirical testing....

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
As someone else said the 415 is actually 3/16 I was wrong when i said it was 1/8. The bmx chain is 1/8 that is what everyone was touting to replace the 415 chain. When I talked about buying one I had forgotten they said the bgf kit (which I have) has a larger rear sprocket. That being the case the word I got is that the 1/8th chain won't fit. I may have to go on the prowl for some 415 locally cause I might be moving my kit from one bike to another.

The chain from my coaster brake won't fit but it isn't 1/8. I think it is 3/32.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
tonight i will do a demo of breaking down a motorized bicycle chain to remove or add links. probably won't be as good as a job as norman does but will do my best.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
Ok, you guys forced me to brave the 20 degree temps and go out to the garage for some pictures. First we have from top to bottom: Standard coaster brake/BMX chain, cheap ass flimsy Chineese kit chain, and on the bottom is an old 415 I had laying around. Top view

Side view

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
Had to split into two posts

BMX on 9-hole sprocket

Virtical view of each

The fit on the engine sprocket is the same but I have encountered badly pressed or cast front sprockets that may require some file or dremmel work. This will generally make your chain run smoother in any case. I debur all of my sprockets before assambly. I don't make a comon practice of using BMX chiain because I like the 415 but when I have, I've not had any problems...Kelly

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thank you.

Last night I put a "regular bike chain" on a spare sprocket and it fit fine.

However, what you are showing as a 415 chain IS what came with my kit(s).

Mystery solved and thanks again!

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am sure my 415 wont be long enough for my larger bike, so I'm going to buy the bell bmx type chain. I will most likely have to "dress" the teeth on my rear sprocket. I think I will see how long it lasts before it brakes. I am not a hot rodder so it might work out. If not god knows all my bike chains are rusty and old old old. I can for sure use it somewhere.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
Thank you.

Last night I put a "regular bike chain" on a spare sprocket and it fit fine.

However, what you are showing as a 415 chain IS what came with my kit(s).

Mystery solved and thanks again!
I know some kits do come stock with the 415 and for awhile the e-bay sellers were selling their kits with both chains calling the 415 an off road chain. The last four or five motors I have gotten have not had the 415 in the kit and had to order the chain seperatly. Sorry for the out of focus pictures it was cold in the garage and on the back of the cammera they looked good:rolleyes:...Kelly

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just got in from messin' with the bike. I went by Wallymart and they carry a 1/2 by 3/`16 chain but they are out of it. So I didn't buy any my 1/8 wont fit over my sprocket. I have the bgf kit.

bravofire84

Feb 13, 2008
chain problem still persist

i think i will just get a new rim or used n shorten my chain it frustrates me when i peddle clutch out n my chain tensioner moves n breaks a spoke or two please help with advice.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Your chain tentioner moves? You mean it isn't tight enough on the bike frame. If the frame is too small, I would go to the auto parts store get a piece of small rubber heater hose, Go home and cut it so that it is no longer a hose but an envelope, then trim it so that it will wrap around the frame under the tensioner. Just one wrap should do it. You could even run a wrap of electrical tape to hold it in place, then bolt the tensioner over it. Bolt it down just as tight as possible without wringing off the bolts. that should do it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hey joe want your chain back. I found a spot locally that sells 415h for guys who jump bikes. I was shocked to find it. I bought one so I have plenty now. Cost me $20 bucks but I didn't have to pay shipping and it is in my hand now not next week. The 11buck chains had 8.50 shipping