8 HP Briggs Pusher build!

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Not instant toast but very soon. Those are low speed, very un precison bearings designed for heavy loads at walking speed.
For just a few bux more each, you can buy precison sealed bearings with a snap ring on the edge, for the same dimentons and flange as the wheelbarrow bearings.Do it right once, or do it twice for at least triple the price and trouble.
Upon hindsight, If you already have them and they're not hard to change, I would go ahead and try them.
Keep them lubed with heavy oil and they might suprise you with hundreds of miles service.
If they fit the shaft loose at all, ya gotta take the slack out and get some interference fit by enlarging shaft dia.by knurling or dimpling. Hafta use a lathe and knurling for knurls, but hand dimpling works as well.
To dimple for slight diameter increase for a tighter fit on stuff , take sharp centerpunch and lightly punch with even pressure hammer blows all over real close like every 1/8- 1/16" where the bearing ridesL
I like to do close helix pattern with about 1/8" spacing for maximun eyballed evenness. Harder blows = more dia.
Afterwards, dress lightly with a flat file, perferably spinning the shaft,with file hand held, then assemble.
Loctite sells special adhesives for taking slack out of loose machine fittings too.

Oops please excuse the tutorial rant LOL

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I would take that bottle and chuck it in a lathe or jigged drillpress and sand it while spinning down to 120 grit for a nice machined look, then immediatly de-grease with carb cleaner, and clearcoat it with clear engine enamel from NAPA.
Finished my dunebuggy tanks on my experimental trike airplane like that 6 years ago, still lookin good.
View attachment 41026
Wayne! I am building that! Well, a boat version that don't look near as well made, snork. But a flying MB/trike/boat.

Now I just gotta learn how to fly. an' weld better and live threw crashing to the earth in flames. But aside from that, I'm golden.

.cptr.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Today I decided to lace up 24 in rims so i can do a major upgrade on the brakes. Figured it would be a good thing with that briggs. That and some nice fat tires.

Last edited:

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Ahhh! My old nemesis has reared its ugly head again. I get some time to make a little progress and have a game plan. I have some materials and cuts have been made. I have perfect weather, no interruptions, and beer in hand.
So I place the magical auto darkening hood on my head and get 3 in of welding wire before it runs out. I will get more but my time schedual will be shifted to work again. I Think there must be a higher power with a wicked sense of humor out there. Lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, I couldn't agree more SJ. The power's that be sure do have a sense of humor.

Is good ya have the will to laugh and enjoy it.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Took a few pics of my new fuel tank! Ill have my daughter post them for me later. Someday ill figure out how to do that myself. Lol I gotta say, this trailer is showin a bit more attitude than the old 50cc version did! Looks wild with all that briggs stickin out everywhere. Lol

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Got another spool of welding wire and some time to build again! Today ill work on finishing the frame, fuel tank mounting, and trailer tongue. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Well I got some of it done. So far I am happy with the way it's going together although in a few places I had to do some major head scratching (back yard engineering) to make more than one thing fit into the same spot and one thing work for more than one function. Also had to build the top half of the frame so it could be unbolted and removed since the engine sits on four studs and must be lifted up if I ever need to pull the engine or the cyl. head.
Just read a post on a way less cool site about some loon that did 62 mph with a pusher that had a bad wobble (design?) and survived!
I am now writing a book on what I have learned about building a good handling push trailer!

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
The text of the book is all done.. Its not a big book but i Think it turned out pretty good. Just have to ad a few drawings and pictures. Looks like i need to finish my pusher for the pictures though. Lol

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Wow! I got to put a ton of time into the freaky rocket sled today. Got the trailer tongue done, built the jack shaft, and some other misc stuff. I gotta say that this thing is lookin wild!
I also settled on a color scheme. The frame, flywheel, pulleys, and rim will be red. The rest of the engine will be black. The exhaust will be high temp silver.
Ill try to get some pictures in the morning when theres more light.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Well, today would be a good day to get some progress made on the pusher. I just have to sneak it in between storm clouds and re-grouting the bathroom floor. Lol. That said I should get a lot closer to test ride time. I just hope its not snowing by the time i finaly get it done.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Um. Well the floor will be done today. Lol. Geez carving out Grout lines is friggin time consuming. What a P.I.T.A. weather is back to nice so I hope I can get some painting done.