Sprocket Adapter Vendor?

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I just put a rag joint sprocket made for a 36 spoke wheel on a 32 spoke wheel , I had to drill some holes to get 8 of 9 bolts through the rag joint. It works and all, and I got it rolling pretty smooth but there is still some wobble and I dropped the chain a few times. I think if I tinker I could balance it out, but I think I would prefer to dump the rag joint and maybe go with a better sprocket setup.

So I am looking for someone making/selling a sprocket that I can use on my hub. The bike is a 1990 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Mountain Bike, wheel has a Shimano Deore LX FH-M550 7 speed hub, I assume sprocket adapter guys should recognize that and know if their kit will fit...

Budget is kindof an issue, so I would like to get something that will get my 32 spoke wheel rolling smoother as cheap as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I just put a rag joint sprocket made for a 36 spoke wheel on a 32 spoke wheel , I had to drill some holes to get 8 of 9 bolts through the rag joint. It works and all, and I got it rolling pretty smooth but there is still some wobble and I dropped the chain a few times. I think if I tinker I could balance it out, but I think I would prefer to dump the rag joint and maybe go with a better sprocket setup.
So I am looking for someone making/selling a sprocket that I can use on my hub. The bike is a 1990 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Mountain Bike, wheel has a Shimano Deore LX FH-M550 7 speed hub, I assume sprocket adapter guys should recognize that and know if their kit will fit...
Budget is kindof an issue, so I would like to get something that will get my 32 spoke wheel rolling smoother as cheap as possible.
Thanks in advance for any advice....
You could use a disc brake mount wheel to attach a sprocket.

Manic Mechanic is the ONLY sprocket hub adapter manufacturer that
made a solution for a 32 spoke wheel.

Manic Mechanic has stated on his website that if there is enough demand
they will manufacture 32 spoke adapters again.

I wrote this in your previous thread but it was deleted for reasons that
escape me.

Would about $50 be too much for your budget?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Yah, $50 bucks at this point seems a little steep, I don't think a new hub with a disc brake mount is gonna be very economical either...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It could be, while I've been unable to determine what bike you've got - disk brake hubs can be had new for very little money and using one to mount the engine's drive sprocket is by far the most elegantly simple solution in my opinion, if not the least expensive.

Here's an example of a new 32 spoke disk brake rear hub for only $15 Cannondale CODA 901 Rear Disc Mountain Hub 32H New Searching will present any number of possibilities, 'Google Product Search' is a good place to start :)

Even if you've never built a wheel before, provided the hub is the same size as yours - it's quite easy to swap it over yourself and having your local bike shop tune it, which is usually quite inexpensive.

One of the wonderful things about DIY projects is there's always an alternative :D

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
my local bike shop has disk brake hubs laced with 32 or 36 spoke rims for under 50 bucks. i'm sure you could find a whole wheel online cheap and just call kings for a sprocket that will bolt right up.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It could be, while I've been unable to determine what bike you've got - disk brake hubs can be had new for very little money and using one to mount the engine's drive sprocket is by far the most elegantly simple solution in my opinion, if not the least expensive.
I agree. After building a bike with a Top Hat adapter for the disk brake hub, it will be hard to ever go back to anything else again. Even the excellent MM hub adapter seems rather cave man in comparison.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I've been busy trueing a bunch of wheels, for use on my MAB projects.
...Real junkers I'm re-cycling !
But I'm getting fairly good at straightening wheels and getting them to run true.
...then I can go through the pile and see which ones have the best bearings and such.
Now I need to learn about dishing a wheel...

Next, I must learn about lacing a hub to a rim, from salvaged components.

Point is, it is NOT necessary to use a hired bicycle mechanic at a shop to get this stuff done. It can be done at home, in your own bike forks, with a spoke wrench that costs $5 to $12 and a piece of wire wrapped around the frame as an indicator.

Hope that will help you stay on budget... I don't really have a budget, myself! just kinda work with what I got

Best
rc

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I have a 36 hole 7 speed cassette hub with disc mount and a 39 tooth kings sprocket I listed for sale a while ago. You'd need a new rim though.

homejones

Jul 4, 2011
Lostville
Manic Mechanic. Done.

I spent a total of $65 for my 40-tooth sprocket and hub adapter. He ships really fast and is very knowledgeable about the motor bike scene.

My hub adapter was custom made for my bike's rear wheel hub. Fits like a glove. Never messed with a rag joint, but I imagine it would have been ****.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I've been busy trueing a bunch of wheels, for use on my MAB projects.
...Real junkers I'm re-cycling !
But I'm getting fairly good at straightening wheels and getting them to run true.
...then I can go through the pile and see which ones have the best bearings and such.
Now I need to learn about dishing a wheel...

Next, I must learn about lacing a hub to a rim, from salvaged components.

Point is, it is NOT necessary to use a hired bicycle mechanic at a shop to get this stuff done. It can be done at home, in your own bike forks, with a spoke wrench that costs $5 to $12 and a piece of wire wrapped around the frame as an indicator.

Hope that will help you stay on budget... I don't really have a budget, myself! just kinda work with what I got

Best
rc
I am kinda with you on this, and not really the patient type....

So when I saw the $50 price tag on a better sprocket adapter I decided to just spend the time last night and rip apart my rag joint and modify it so it fits my bike properly (36 spoke rag joint on 32 spoke wheel). I already drilled two new holes to bring it down to an 8 bolt sprocket (to match my 8 pairs of spokes) and it bolts on without spoke interference, but the rag joint had some balance issues since the holes are not on center for each pair of spokes (the way it would be on a 36 spoke wheel). I don't really have a problem truing rims, been doin' that since I was 12, my rim is good, its just the rag joint and sprocket is not designed for a 32 spoke wheel....

To make life easier I got a drive adaptor for my cordless drill so I could get that rag joint apart fast without too much stress on my hands. Once apart I threw out the sprocket side rag, which was thick and preventing the sprocket from seating all the way down the hub where it centers and balances itself. I made a new thinner sprocket side rag out of some rubber material I scrounged up from the basement. Fitting it all together it looked like it would run smooth, so I bolted her up and sure enough it spins flat and true now. It's nice and solid and balanced, I don't expect that I will have any more problems with it. If I do I will probably go another route like new 36 spoke rim, or swap in a disc brake hub, or maybe a high tech sprocket to hub adaptor. I was thinkin' (or hoping) that a sprocket adaptor would be more in the 20-30 range, for that money I might have avoided the hassle of balancing the rag joint, at half the price of an engine I find it hard to justify. If I am gonna spend $50-$65 I think I would probably invest in a disc brake hub or new wheel rather than the adaptor.