Adjusting Carb for 3/4 to full throttle power

GoldenMotor.com

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Yes. Unfortunately, there aren't many trustworthy mechanics out here, and I know of none personally, that could do a rejetting. I am wondering if I should try and get them off of ebay and get them sent over with someone who may be visiting soon. Sucks, I can't even get a wire gauge out here, otherwise, I'd do it myself. I am trying to read up on how to take a carb apart so I can adjust the needle and put it on the leanest setting, I'm sure that would help tremendously.

Mapbike, I took a look at my carb today, cleaned outside with some carb cleaner, and realized afterwards that I have a small leak coming from my primer/tickler, which I don't use. Most of the stuff is almost pure oil... I am running 24:1, yet I think I may be using too much oil. Almost done with this tank and gonna move up to 32:1 for my third gallon. A mechanic, which exclusively works with dirt bikes/high performance, told me they only use 3 oz to a gallon, which works out to be 40:1. As my MB is not high performance, does not have a leaner needle setting and does not have a smaller jet, would you recommend 40:1 or should I first go to 32:1?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
24:1 is fine for breakin. After breakin, 32:1 is the ratio you want to run if you're running a basic 2 cycle oil. 40:1 is the ratio you want to run if it's synthetic oil.

I would say lean it with the needle setting first thing, and get some jets for downjetting. It takes a couple minutes, there's no need to take it to a mechanic, you can totally handle it.

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
You could also eliminate the oil mess all together and go to opti 2 at 100 to 1 It was the best move I ever made. ( let the flames begin) Theirs a short thread on this site about opti 2.

Last edited:

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
24:1 is fine for breakin. After breakin, 32:1 is the ratio you want to run if you're running a basic 2 cycle oil. 40:1 is the ratio you want to run if it's synthetic oil.

I would say lean it with the needle setting first thing, and get some jets for downjetting. It takes a couple minutes, there's no need to take it to a mechanic, you can totally handle it.

Thanks DuctTapedGoat. You certainly boosted my confidence in tackling this problem. 3 weeks ago, I didn't know squat about motors, now, thanks to this forum and people like you, I think I know enough about 2 strokers to start making modifications.

About the tickler though... I don't use it, but it seems oil is leaking from it. How could I verify this and what are possible solutions?

Thanks in advance

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Dont pay any attention to the tickler button, it wont hurt a thing for it to seep a bit around it if its just a slightt oily stuff.

( Question )-- Can you order off the internet and have stuff shipped to you pretty easy from here in the USA?

If so a set of wire gauge bits is pretty cheap and you could just order a set and have them maybe in a week or so and then it is very easy to resize the jet, by using a small propane torch and some very small solder, then you just redrill the jet and screw it back in, put the carb bowl back on, put the carb back on the bike and have a test run to see if yo got it where it needs to be by checking the plug color after the short trip.

very simple proccess just takes a little time and care, but not hard to do at all.

Here are a couple of links where you can buy the wire gauge bits very cheap, the second link is to the same set as I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Drill-Tools-Precision-Model/dp/B000VNPRNQ/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Amazon.com: Mini Micro Drill Bit Set and Pin Vise Chuck 21 pcs: Industrial & Scientific

Thanks DuctTapedGoat. You certainly boosted my confidence in tackling this problem. 3 weeks ago, I didn't know squat about motors, now, thanks to this forum and people like you, I think I know enough about 2 strokers to start making modifications.

About the tickler though... I don't use it, but it seems oil is leaking from it. How could I verify this and what are possible solutions?

Thanks in advance

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Thank you Mapbike. I may have to order it and get it sent with some relatives who are visiting in a month or two. Until then, I will continue breaking it in, listen to it, and make any adjustments within my capabilities. I'm wondering if I can order those tiny drill sizes too, I'm not too sure anyone would have them here.

Something strange happened two nights ago, and again today. I had forgotten to turn the petcock down to allow fuel down... rode around, everything seemed fine, perhaps even a bit smoother? Only after I stopped to let the motor idle for a minute before pressing the killswitch, I realized the petcock was off, or in the up position. Does this mean fuel is passing through all the time? I don't seem to have any major leaks, and the float bowl doesn't seem to be flooded either.

I will rest assured that the bit of oil seeping through the tickler is no biggie. Tomorrow I finish my second tank, and will be using 32:1, hopefully that lessens the the problem. Also, I am using Stihl oil. Reddish color, two stroke. Until now, no problems. Unfortunately, no Opti-2 here either. :(

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If the petcock is in the up or the down position it is open.......it has to be pointing opposite the direction the fuel line goes for it to be in the off position..... if pointer on valve is pointing up toward tank or pointing down toward fuel line to carb the fuel valve is open......

hope this helps

Thank you Mapbike. I may have to order it and get it sent with some relatives who are visiting in a month or two. Until then, I will continue breaking it in, listen to it, and make any adjustments within my capabilities. I'm wondering if I can order those tiny drill sizes too, I'm not too sure anyone would have them here.

Something strange happened two nights ago, and again today. I had forgotten to turn the petcock down to allow fuel down... rode around, everything seemed fine, perhaps even a bit smoother? Only after I stopped to let the motor idle for a minute before pressing the killswitch, I realized the petcock was off, or in the up position. Does this mean fuel is passing through all the time? I don't seem to have any major leaks, and the float bowl doesn't seem to be flooded either.

I will rest assured that the bit of oil seeping through the tickler is no biggie. Tomorrow I finish my second tank, and will be using 32:1, hopefully that lessens the the problem. Also, I am using Stihl oil. Reddish color, two stroke. Until now, no problems. Unfortunately, no Opti-2 here either. :(

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I'm thinking it could be that it was set to reserve and had the increased fuel flow. That, or he always set it to reserve and set it to on and had lesser fuel flow.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Reserve?

These kit tanks/valves dont have a reserve, all they are is a single tank with a valve that always takes the fuel from the very bottom of the tank, these valves are not 2 stage, just a simple on and off valve that has 2 on positions and 1 off position, unless of coarse he actually has a motorcycle fuel tank on the bike with a valve that allows for fuel to be taken from bottom portion of tank when swittched from the normal position to the reserve position.

unless there is something different than what I got in my kits..... but I doubt it based on all the replacement valves I've seen for the kit tanks.

Peace

I'm thinking it could be that it was set to reserve and had the increased fuel flow. That, or he always set it to reserve and set it to on and had lesser fuel flow.

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
If the petcock is in the up or the down position it is open.......it has to be pointing opposite the direction the fuel line goes for it to be in the off position..... if pointer on valve is pointing up toward tank or pointing down toward fuel line to carb the fuel valve is open......

hope this helps
HAHAHAHAHA..... I'm laughing so hard at myself right now. What a dummy! The whole time I was thinking, what's wrong these Chinese people... two friggin arrows, one on each side...

Oh man, so I DID have fuel seeping in the whole time. I'm going downstairs right now and turning it OFF.

Edit: So I finally realized... off is vertical position. What a dunce! As you can see, my set up is similar to yours mapbike! Now if only I could get a clearer understanding of how to move e-clip on needle.. I read Normans picture guide, but it's not enough for me!

also, another very basic question... when exactly should I turn the petcock off? After motor is off, or can I keep it on during last 2 minute idle before engine shutoff (via killswitch)??

Just to clear up any issues, I will take my camera downstairs, take some pics, and upload them right away. Perhaps you point out anything else worth mentioning. The carb does say NTTC on it, and the air filter says NT. Brb back with pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
It's no biggy man, I'm sure that little mistake has been made by a bunch of people.........nothing dumb about it at all you just didn't know plain and simple.

HAHAHAHAHA..... I'm laughing so hard at myself right now. What a dummy! The whole time I was thinking, what's wrong these Chinese people... two friggin arrows, one on each side...

Oh man, so I DID have fuel seeping in the whole time. I'm going downstairs right now and turning it OFF.

Just to clear up any issues, I will take my camera downstairs, take some pics, and upload them right away. Perhaps you point out anything else worth mentioning. The carb does say NTTC on it, and the air filter says NT. Brb back with pics.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
yep you gotter turned off now.........good deal see we learn new things everyday and today it was that valve position.......

Peace

Edit: So I finally realized... off is vertical position. What a dunce! As you can see, my set up is similar to yours mapbike! Now if only I could get a clearer understanding of how to move e-clip on needle.. I read Normans picture guide, but it's not enough for me!

also, another very basic question... when exactly should I turn the petcock off? After motor is off, or can I keep it on during last 2 minute idle before engine shutoff (via killswitch)??

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
yeah man, take a look at the pics I just uploaded... it IS similar to yours isn't it? So when exactly should I turn the petcock off? When motor is already off? I like to let it idle for a minute or two before I kill the engine.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I turn my fuel off and let it idle for 30seconds or so and then I kill the engine, that way basically the only fuel that is left is what is in the fuel bowl and sometimes that is very little.

If the bike will not be rode for several days I like it run out of fuel with the valve off, and then put the bike away with almost zero fuel in the carb.

Just my way of doing things, that doesnt mean it helps anything or is a better way at all, it's just my habit for whatever reason.

wooooweeee, I'll catch you on the other side of tonight bro. it's 12:06 here and time t ihit the hay for me........

Peace until next time....

yeah man, take a look at the pics I just uploaded... it IS similar to yours isn't it? So when exactly should I turn the petcock off? When motor is already off? I like to let it idle for a minute or two before I kill the engine.

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Thanks for the sound advice Mapbike. I will do the same from now. It just seems safer and better for the components in the long run. I've been storing it with the valve on this entire past week. No more!

Last edited:

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
So I finally moved the clip to the leanest setting and it is running beautifully. I did try a smaller jet but didn't like the way it was performing. Back to original jet size and leanest clip on the needle and it is running nicely! It feels good to be able to make changes yourself and see and feel the difference it makes afterwards! Before, it struggled to get to 30-33 km/h. Now, it gets to 38-40 km/h easily!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Good deal tseekr379

Glad to hear you have that baby ginn-in better.....ride safe and have fun...

Peace

So I finally moved the clip to the leanest setting and it is running beautifully. I did try a smaller jet but didn't like the way it was performing. Back to original jet size and leanest clip on the needle and it is running nicely! It feels good to be able to make changes yourself and see and feel the difference it makes afterwards! Before, it struggled to get to 30-33 km/h. Now, it gets to 38-40 km/h easily!