SBP Moab

GoldenMotor.com

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

Here is my project bike for the Sick Bike Parts shift kit install. I really like several options available and weighed the Nu Vinci kit against the SBP kit to get more out of a motor and not be so close to destroying it at high revs when I want some speed and just pedal when I want more torque for climbs and starts. I opted for the shift kit because I trust the dérailleurs system to be very highly developed and I understand it and can make it work with used and very available parts.

Just in case you were not sure which bike is a Moab from the final days of Schwinn being a bike shop exclusive company. Now anybody can sell a schwinn, I got one from Target recently.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

Here is a stripped down frame with the fork I will use. The fork came from datz's sick orange beastie he is building. The chain stay is bent and not an illusion. The reasoning that Schwinn used was that the chain bounces as you ride the rough stuff, so if the chain side stay is lowered you will have less chain bounce on the stay that always leaves scars to paint.

I had 2 forks but only 1 works. The steering tube is 1 1/8" and thread less on the left. The right one is beefier but only 1" and threaded. It also has mounts for a disk brake the left one lacks. Actually I find the V-brakes to work very well so will be happy with that.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Wait a minute...you're saying that the chainstay was bent on purpose from the factory? Lol, I have a moab, and I just thought it was bent from abuse. I pulled all my motor gear off the moab, but I'm kind of missing the smaller frame. Oh well.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Every body is looking for the next good idea or even just a good marketing idea. This bordered on a marketing gimmick but did serve a purpose. I worked at Pat's Schwinn Shop that opened in 1948 or so. They were not happy with Schwinn Company at that time as it was sold out of the Schwinn family after a bankruptcy or 3. Since late 1990's it has been a department store bike. I still go to the shop for old Schwinn stuff but they are about out of it.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I have gotten the bike put together without the painting and frame modifications I had hoped to do. I needed a quick commuter and I now have it. I started Saturday and worked again on Monday and Wednesday and finished on Friday. The shift kit allows me to treavel at speed without straining the motor.

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
I have gotten the bike put together without the painting and frame modifications I had hoped to do. I needed a quick commuter and I now have it. I started Saturday and worked again on Monday and Wednesday and finished on Friday. The shift kit allows me to treavel at speed without straining the motor.

Dude, What is up with your spokes or is it just the camera? They look like they are twisted around each other? Walter F.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Walter F you get the prize for asking the question. Yes I did twist the spokes. I built a set of these wheels 12-15 years ago long before I started motorizing. I did it partly as a gimmick and partly to stiffen the wheels at the last bike shop I worked at. It does look cool and it does stiffen the wheels and it does not break spokes. The spoke length does not change for a half twist like this. It changes about 2mm for a full twist. I have heard of wire tie and solder or zip ties to do the same thing and both seem lame to me.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
I didn't think my old eyes had gotten that bad, now that I look at it again I can see there is a pattern. I'm getting ready to lace up a dual disc hub and I'm gettin' spokeitis, so when I saw yours I blinked more than once. Happy Trails Walter F.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I did some adjusting yesterday on the SBP Shifter bike and left about
5:30 AM today on a 60 mile loop that I used to do as a racer. Racers
have different loops and work outs. This was a medium-long ride with
some good gradual climbs and descents as well as some sharp 100-300
yard climbs thrown in to make all stuff work and strain. The bike did
well and I seem to be more in sync with the shifting. The 60 miles
went in about 2 1/2 hours not including a 10 minute midway break where
I added my granny gear. I have an 8 speed freewheel and am not using
the high gear, 11 th or so. I was not using the 28 th low gear either
but decided to add it for the steeper climbs as an option. I am using
the stock 10 th pinion gear and am pretty happy with the range. Power
is so different between this motor and the Whizzer that I was not sure
if the bike was sick (not well) or what.

I got spoiled with 130 cc's of power compared to 65 or however
many this HT 80 has. That is the beauty as I was cruising with power
at a lot of speeds thru a lot of terrains (even some sand and dirt)
and profiles. I am stoked and look forward to getting another kit soon.