Wally World Huffy Vs Schwinn

GoldenMotor.com

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
I try to stay away from 6th street. I don't know what it is about my looks but it seems that I attract either people who want to fight me or cops harassing me for being white on a Wednesday night...lol. I guess it is the wrong place to stand if you are six one, weight in at about 235lbs have a shaved head and wear a goatee? BTW I only seem to have this problem when on 6th street or nearby on Congress..so I quit going around there.

To get back on topic maybe the entry levels should only be Mountain Bikes like the Redline Monocog? The problem then becomes cost prohibitive to the college crowd. Yeah it is only 500 bucks for the bike but it is still going to need the HD wheels etc and now we are still at over a grand in build cost. I would like to keep the build cost at around 5-600 and keep the end user cost under 800.

What are your thoughts Baird?

What cruiser complete bikes have a "decent" frame but will not cost as much as a Felt ( I must say that is MY cruiser of choice but the mounts for the engine cost as much as the engines ) or a Worksman ( I refuse to put a rag joint on ANY bike)

I like cruisers because I absolutely HATE derailleurs! On any personal bike I have owned, the amount of tuning (and they are still never perfect) and frustration is enough to make me want to hurl it in the ditch

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
For a while I bought a lot of bikes from the thrift store. I did a lot of builds while experimenting with one thing or another. The bikes I bought never really failed on me. I usually just wanted to try a different size or style of bike for the next experiment. I ruined a lot of motors and replaced a lot of brake sets, but I didn't have any unavoidable frame failures that I remember. So maybe the old bikes or the bikes make for kids are more solidly made.

I bought a lot of twenty inch kids bikes of whatever make was available at the time. I really don't remember one being significantly better than another. I mostly build friction drive so my experiences probably aren't of much value to you guys.

waistofhumanspace

Jan 8, 2011
michigan
I tried using a new wallymart bike & it cracked apart within a few weeks, I welded it over & over again! This was no easy task with such thin metal tubing, I have see thicker metal used to make soup cans. ( old bikes are best )

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
I tried using a new wallymart bike & it cracked apart within a few weeks, I welded it over & over again! This was no easy task with such thin metal tubing, I have see thicker metal used to make soup cans. ( old bikes are best )
I'm currently modifying a Micargi frame, doing a lot of welding, and have found it handles welding no problem, so the metal must be thicker than some at least. Still not a high quality bike, but a step up maybe?