Got engine yesterday, riding today

GoldenMotor.com

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I got the 66cc motor from zoombicycles yesterday and put it together. I was advised to remove the fenders, so I did. I did nothing special, just put the motor kit on the bike as it came in the mail. It started up within 4 or 5 tries and adjusted the carb, I have done nothing else to except ride it. Being the first one for me to finish, I am still excited. I like the cruiser bikes and the cranbrook was a natural (and cheap) one to go for. Now I guess I need to start the slow process of working out the bugs as I notice them.

Last edited:

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
This thing will need some tweaking for sure, It loses power when I hit bumps in the road and I have to play with the throttle to get it to go up a hill. At full throttle it loses power trying to go up a hill, but at about half throttle it goes with no problem and picks up speed. After it picks up the speed then I can give it more throttle and it responds as it should.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Well done. Took me days to assemble and start my motorbike. I'd add a front brake. Brakes are cheaper than hospitalization.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i got my bike today.

worksman goofed up n gave me the 44tooth when i asked for the 36 tooth, and gave me 5/8 inch pedal bolts for my 9/16th threaded legs, so this is all i could do to it today and until monday. had the motor since mid december. this hobby is a tease :(

the frame shape is sexy though and man oh man was goat right about those wheels being heavy duty :D

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
Well done. Took me days to assemble and start my motorbike. I'd add a front brake. Brakes are cheaper than hospitalization.
I'm taking it easy until I can make the needed modifications, I'm alreadt missing my fenders but was advised to remove them as they tend to kill and cause accidents. lol

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
i got my bike today.

worksman goofed up n gave me the 44tooth when i asked for the 36 tooth, and gave me 5/8 inch pedal bolts for my 9/16th threaded legs, so this is all i could do to it today and until monday. had the motor since mid december. this hobby is a tease :(

the frame shape is sexy though and man oh man was goat right about those wheels being heavy duty :D
Looking good(^) Here is another tease:D Sprocket Adapter W/ Sprocket CB-110 Hub (In Stock)

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
I'm willing to bet that whole "death by fender" thing is way overrated. Nice bike, by the way.
the front are a serious safety concern from what iv'e read, tabs simply aren't as strong as the bolt on style to hold them in place used on the back fenders. that's why i am only running a back fender, don't want too risk a front fender snapping off on me and sending me over the handlebars/wrecking my front end in the process.

@goat i want it, think it would make this much easier, but i can't afford it :(

when i got time to take high res pics i'll pm you asking what exactly needs to be done too make the back work.

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
There is a flea market within a mile of where I live and I rode my bike to it today and came home with money in my pocket, An older gentleman is paying me to order and install a motor kit on his bike! lol Life is just getting better all the time!

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
@goat i want it, think it would make this much easier, but i can't afford it :(

I don't know why, but to me spending that much on a frame to still ride with the weak link on these kits seems a little backwards. I would rather personally ride a 50 dollar bike with upgraded rear sprocket attachment than a 2 thousand dollar bike with that junky rag joint that comes in the kits.

Granted I dont have much MB experience to go on but I have ridden enough motorcycles and bicycles both to know I don't want my power plant to be strapped to one side of some spokes on a wheel.....just does not sound safe AT ALL! It could just be me as some seem to have no problems with it, but my butt would not even consider riding it set up like that. In fact I would buy the HD rear wheel kit from spooky or another vendor before I even put gas in it. I like the skin on my body, especially my face and when rear wheels taco it really stinks.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
I don't know why, but to me spending that much on a frame to still ride with the weak link on these kits seems a little backwards. I would rather personally ride a 50 dollar bike with upgraded rear sprocket attachment than a 2 thousand dollar bike with that junky rag joint that comes in the kits.

Granted I dont have much MB experience to go on but I have ridden enough motorcycles and bicycles both to know I don't want my power plant to be strapped to one side of some spokes on a wheel.....just does not sound safe AT ALL! It could just be me as some seem to have no problems with it, but my butt would not even consider riding it set up like that. In fact I would buy the HD rear wheel kit from spooky or another vendor before I even put gas in it. I like the skin on my body, especially my face and when rear wheels taco it really stinks.
a high quality bike a more solid investment imo. solid frame to prevent cracks in the frame and welds from vibrations, high quality rims and spokes means that doing 30mph n hitting a pot hole is not a bike shattering event, and the rag joint sprocket will not be ripping my spokes out since the spokes and flange are heavy duty. most spokes and flanges a rag joint puts too much stress on, therefore you need one of those custom sprockets. mine will hold up just fine even with the force being directly applied to the spokes.

the main reason i want the custom sprocket is i don't think i would have to take apart my rear wheel and grind down the dust cap to make the kit sprocket fit. i'm not at all worried about the wheel being able to take the abuse though, because i invested in quality.

moving 1 part over in 6 months is a lot easier then moving an entire kit over in 3 months because your bike was weaker then the average weak bike and couldn't handle your motor. right?

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
I see your point and am not trying to sound negative. I just know that wire wheeled spoked rims are not meant to be turned by the spokes, especially when there is not equal force on either side of the wheels. Granted the wheels are much better quality than the 14 g versions some run with but the wheel itself was not designed to work in this manner.

As I said some people probably never have an issue with it, I am just anal about stuff like that. I agree its a good idea to have a beefy bike frame but I have not read too many in fact none at all posts concerning cracked frames....mostly tacoed up wheels!

I figure if even a peddle bike would work great with the sprocket attached to the spokes then some manufacturer would be doing it because that would be the cheapest way to go, but they are not. Even the junkiest of crap bikes have the peddle force going to the hub not the spokes.......just sayin.

On a side not, I do dig your Worksman. very cool bike for sure.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
I see your point and am not trying to sound negative. I just know that wire wheeled spoked rims are not meant to be turned by the spokes, especially when there is not equal force on either side of the wheels. Granted the wheels are much better quality than the 14 g versions some run with but the wheel itself was not designed to work in this manner.

As I said some people probably never have an issue with it, I am just anal about stuff like that. I agree its a good idea to have a beefy bike frame but I have not read too many in fact none at all posts concerning cracked frames....mostly tacoed up wheels!

I figure if even a peddle bike would work great with the sprocket attached to the spokes then some manufacturer would be doing it because that would be the cheapest way to go, but they are not. Even the junkiest of crap bikes have the peddle force going to the hub not the spokes.......just sayin.

On a side not, I do dig your Worksman. very cool bike for sure.
spokes like that on a mass production scale for this type of set up would most likely cost more, while also limiting repair options.

with the current set up if something breaks we simply replace the part that needs to be replaced. if all bikes were manufactured with the sprockets mounted to the spokes not only would we most likely lose the ability for a free wheel but also make it so a dinged up rim meant you need an entire new everything, spokes and sprocket as well as the rim, since it would all be one piece, rather then being able to salvage your still working parts, at least thats the way i see it :)

so while its safe/viable, it's simply not as good or cost effective as what we already have, so why do it that way?

and thanks, i do agree worksman makes a quite nice bike, even if they did goof up on my order. wishing i got my gt5 in black now to match the gloss black paint on the bike.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I prefer my self not to drive off the spokes when ever I can. I like to run the sprocket off the hub , disk brake , or a clam shell adapter..

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
I prefer my self not to drive off the spokes when ever I can. I like to run the sprocket off the hub , disk brake , or a clam shell adapter..
i'm not saying it's ideal. just that its not really a safety issue so much when you have such heavy duty quality wheels. a walmart bike with the custom sprocket or a worksman with a kit sprocket? to me the worksman seems like a safer ride.

eventually i will be getting a custom sprocket, but not for a little while, this project so far has cost me over $540 with another $20 or so to go, that's quite a bit for an 18 year old guy with out an official job. i make money but its all under the table ya know?

zachattack

Dec 2, 2010
missouri
This thing will need some tweaking for sure, It loses power when I hit bumps in the road and I have to play with the throttle to get it to go up a hill. At full throttle it loses power trying to go up a hill, but at about half throttle it goes with no problem and picks up speed. After it picks up the speed then I can give it more throttle and it responds as it should.
i know what your problem is i have the same motor and bike its the jet down in the carb bowl take off your carb bowl and check to see if its screwed in mine was just sitting in the bowl not even screwed in