Briggs with a Torq-A-Verter

GoldenMotor.com

Spaz_head

Sep 1, 2010
Canada
Good day to all.

I am new to the board and really enjoy reading the posts about BTR replicas.

I am just planning my project and can't wait to get started.

Anyone have experience this a Briggs 5hp and torq a verter?

I would like to strip off the shroud and fins from the flywheel. Gives it a more vintage look. I realize starting will be a problem. Probably make a kick start of some type.
I was thinking of putting a torq a verter on it to increase bottom and top end.

The frame will be a Worksman Newsboy that will have a bottom loop mod.

Anyone with thoughts would be a great help.

Thanks for your time

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
I Had that setup on a mini chopper once. I used a rope start for the engine-worked fine-It was really fast. Actually too fast on a mini bike The Briggs had the governor removed. I don't know what the top speed would be cause I always let off on the throttle at about 45MPH or so. On a bicycle it may do 45 with the gov. intact I would try a 10 to 1 final ratio for gearing for top speed. Too much power for me but some like to live dangerously!

Good luck and do keep us posted.

Tom

Spaz_head

Sep 1, 2010
Canada
Tom

Thanks for the reply.
Yes 45mph is getting up to the limits of even a well built bike with balloom tires. I can't see how a vintage BTR went in the 120 mph range, and on a wooden track soaked with oil.

I would like the extra power for hill pulling due to my 220 lbs (thats on a good day with no breakfast) lol.

I was also thinking about the pull rope. Would also add to the vintage feel.

On another note. I saw in the earlier posts a group trying to get Worksman to produce a bottom loop frame. Did anything pan out or is it a dead topic?

Thanks again
Dave