My motor mount on a Schwinn Riverside

GoldenMotor.com

betacrash

Jun 8, 2010
Cincinnati
I was banging my head trying to figure out a clean way to mount my Flying horse engine onto my Schwinn Riverside. The motor mounted just fine to the bike seat tube but the bottom tube is too big and it is too low so the motor would hit the chainguard/chain wheel area.

I used the small adapter plate that bolts to the engine and creates a wider set of holes. I then drilled a 1.5" hole into a block of UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) plastic. This stuff is super tough. I cut across the hole I just made which created a rounded notch so that the block could rest on the bar below. I drilled two 1/4" holes on each side of the mount so I could use 2 4" carriage bolts to mount the block to the bar.

Tell me what you think.

Attachments

betacrash

Jun 8, 2010
Cincinnati
alright. i came home and shortened it up. i made a corresponding bracket for the other side too. i will probably switch it out since it is pretty close to the exhaust and i am sure that it will melt.

Attachments

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
maybe it would hold the rear mount further from the frame for carb. clearance and angle

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
I'm jealous, you have a kit to work with.;) I liked your first mount as it gave me an idea for when my kit arrives. I want to use the semi circular indents and weld another tube onto the frame. I've read some debate on vibration and mounts and the conclusion is that a hard mount with these motors that uses the built in indents is best, when possible.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
That looks better. Did you design with the carb on for clearance? I hardly think you need to worry about melting. Is that stuff like glass reinforced plastic without the glass?

betacrash

Jun 8, 2010
Cincinnati
yes i did keep the carb on to make sure it cleared and it has a half inch to spare. the plastic is called uhmw (ultra high molecular weight). It is pretty close if not dead on what cutting boards are made of. You can get miscellaneous chunks of it off of ebay. Just search UHMW. Tough stuff.

I think instead of using the bottom block I am going to just make my own U bolt so I get a really hard clamp on my frame. The bike is pretty much all done I just need to cut out an area of the back fender so the chain will pass.