No fuel to engine

GoldenMotor.com

jspitfire

Jun 4, 2010
Yellowknife
Hi, been trying to install and figure out my engine for the past couple days. Haven't been able to get it started, I've narrowed it down to there's no fuel getting to the engine. I've taken the carburetor apart a bit, there was fuel in the float chamber, but it's not going farther than that, the spark plug is always dry. Another thing I've noticed is it takes forever to fill the fuel line when I open the fuel cutoff valve at the top, which makes me think it's not getting vented properly.

Any ideas on what I need to fix or re-adjust would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you can check if it's venting by simply removing the gas cap and watching the flow. if it flows, put the cap back on. if it stops then, it's not venting properly.

another thing to check is a clogged petcock, fuel line, or jets. the stock tank is notorious for having dirt, rust, or a mysterious white powder in them, sometimes even silver paint.

your float level may be too low, also.

or, do you have the carb with a secondary petcock? or, are they turned the correct way? the lever points in the direction of fuel flow. sideways is off.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am assuming that we are talking about a Chinese in frame engine kit. My first guess is the fuel valve is not flowing enough fuel.
Have you checked it for good flow?
Turn the gas off and remove the fuel hose from the carburetor and put the end in a coffee can or some kind of disposable container you can see down into. (Do not use a styrofoam cup!) Turn the fuel valve on for a few seconds and watch the rate of flow out of it. It should be a steady stream. If it is a trickle then there is a problem.
There is a very fine mesh screen on the intake tube of the stock fuel valve. Also the stock fuel tanks commonly have alot of rust and junk inside them that can quickly clog this screen. If the screen is indeed clogged, clean it out, do not remove it. It is there for good reason.
What type of carburetor do you have? There are 2 commonly sold with the kits, one with a valve on the side of it and one without.